Please sign in to post.

Help!!

I bought a money belt for my trip but those u wear on the outside not inside ur pants... is it safe?? does anyone ever use a phone card to call home?? any advice works

Posted by
524 posts

I always use the inside-pants type money belt. After all, the purpose is security for your money or whatever else you put in the belt, such as a passport, tickets, etc. Anything worn on the outside can be stolen just like a purse.

I also always carry some cash in my pocket so that I don't have to reach down my pants everytime I need money for some small purchase or expense.

Haven't use the phone card.

Posted by
11507 posts

Sounds like you bought a "fanny pack" not a moneybelt. Money belts are always meant to be worn INSIDE clothes.

A fanny pack may be convenient for hands free travelling, but it is not a substitute for a money belt.

Go get a money belt. They are cheap , mine was about 6 dollars.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the advice ;) has anyone ever used a phone card? where is it that you purchase a inexpensive money belt?

Posted by
12040 posts

By the way, money belts are intended to be worn under a shirt, not under pants.

Posted by
36 posts

oo.. lol sorry am new to this... hi i have a question i have a lil bag that i usually i hang from the loop of my pants... do u think that would work??

thanks again

Posted by
11507 posts

Tom many of us women wear then lower ,, to sit under our pants or skirts waistbands. Some even wear them in the small of their backs.

Mily, a small dangling bag of cash,, how nice , a pickpocket can have that sliced off in a jiffy. Wear a money belt , or leave CC , passport and bulk of cash in hotel safe. Never carry all your eggs in one basket.

Money for minor daily expenses should NOT be in money belt, as you do want to be routing around under your clothes in public to buy an ice cream or coke. Carry lunch money in purse or bag, and watch it, that way , even if its stolen you are only out 50 euros or so.

When you need to assess moneybelt in public best to seek out a washroom stall, or have partner shield you from view and do it as privately as possible.

Don't get too worried, most of us have never been ripped off, and you won't either if you stay level headed.

Posted by
182 posts

Mily

Check out the post for "Money Belts, etc.....". You'll find it about 2/3 down this page. I also had questions about this topic and there are 24 responses on it. Might be worth a look.

Posted by
172 posts

I have used phone cards in United Arab Emirates, France, Italy, Greece, Portugal and Spain in the past, altho now I find it much more convenient to carry a cell phone (European one). You buy the cards at any tobacco shop, and they are very inexpensive, a very cheap way to stay in touch with those unfortunate enough to have been left at home!!! Each country has their own card(s) and you can't use them in another country, so remember to try and use them up before crossing a border. Some countries have more than one type of card and you can only use them in certain phones (they are all labelled). This sounds confusing but it isn't once you get there, just match the sign on the card with the sign on the phone.

Posted by
408 posts

Mily,
I wear a money type pouch around my neck under my tops. I find it easier than the ones that go around the waist. I keep a small amount of money in my pant pocket. (zippered). My husband carries the passports and larger items in his waist money belt because it is larger. We usually split the money and we each carry our own credit cards and debit card in case of an emergency. I hope this helps. The one I have is made by Eaglecreek and they sell them at R.E.I. and Sport Chalet sporting good stores.

Posted by
2030 posts

Yes, go to the Travel Store link on this site and view the money belts for sale there. And get one from Rick or another place -- Travelsmith also sells them and other places too. I like to use one that you wear around the neck rather than the one around your waist, though have used both and they work well. You want your valuables to be totally out of sight!

Posted by
345 posts

BTW, I highly recommend the RS money belt-- I think it's silk. It is slimmer, lighter, and softer than Eagle Creek's waist belts and neck pouches.

Posted by
98 posts

Mily-

You've received great advice regarding money belts.

As for phone cards; I've purchased phone cards in Scotland, France and England and my sister has used them in Germany and Italy and they work brilliantly. We purchase them in tobacco shops or newstands. Train stations usually have one or two shops that sell them.

Just as an idea, the last card I purchased in England was 5.00BPS for 300 minutes used from a land line. More minutes are used from a payphone and even more from a cell phone.

If you're purchasing a card to call from Europe to the U.S. make sure you obtain the appropriate card. Some cards are only good within the country, some to Europe and some to the United States - just something to double check.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
1446 posts

We always buy a phone card when we enter a country. We've never had any problem until last year in Sweden. The B&B's we stayed in would not let us use their phones to make calls (we did not stay in hotels) and we could hardly find phone booths on the street - most have been taken out because of high cell phone usage. We did manage to make a call with it at one museum - they let us use their phone.