Please sign in to post.

Bacharach to Frankfurt Airport

We have planned our trip for this summer and decided to remain in Bacarach an extra night and just catch the train from there to the Frankfurt airport in the morning. However, our departure time was moved up a bit and our flight now leaves at 11:20 a.m. Does anyone have any experience with taking a train from somewhere else straight to the Frankfurt airport? I'm wondering how much time we need to allow once we arrive at the airport to navigate the terminal, check our bags, etc. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Posted by
19052 posts

A few years ago, I spent the last night in Boppard, and traveled to the airport the next morning, but my flight was in the early afternoon. Because Boppard is a main stop on the line, I was able to take a direct RE to the airport. If I remember, I got to the REGIONAL Bahnhof about 2-1/2 hours before the flight and had enough time. I also know of people who have successfully left from Bacharach for flight departures about the time of yours.

Look at schedules on the Bahn Website, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. For the day I checked, there is a Regional Bahn (RB) leaving Bacharach at 7:31 and going directly to FRA at 8:51. That gives you 2-1/2 hours. You can also leave Bacharach on the same 7:31 RB and change in Bingen at 7:44 to a faster Regional Express and get into FRA at 8:35. The RB arrives in Bingen on track 201 and the RE leaves on track 101. These two tracks are directly on either side of the station building.

Posted by
19052 posts

WARNING. The Regional Bahnhof at FRA will be closed from July 9 to Aug 3. The trip will take longer. Are you leaving in that time span???

Posted by
9 posts

Lee,

Thanks for your info. Yes, we will be leaving in that time span. So, what's the Regional Bahnhof -- is there more than one, or is that where any train to the airport would normally arrive? Sounds like i need to take a look at the airport Web site...

Posted by
19052 posts

The Regional Bahnhof is underground across the street from terminal 1. You get to it (normally) by going down escalators just inside the terminal hall and crossing under the street. The Regional Bahnhof serves, naturally, mostly regional trains and the S-bahns that run between Frankfurt and Mainz/Wiesbaden.

During the construction, there will be a shuttle S-bahn running from Rüsselsheim to Stadion via the Fernbahnhof (long distance trains). You might have a slightly longer trip if you have to change to the S-bahn in Rüsselsheim. The Fernbahnhof is farther out, on the other side of the building over the Regional Bahnhof. You get to terminal 1 by taking a long hallway through the building and then going across a pedestrian bridge. If you are flying Lufthansa, there is a check-in counter in the hallway, just outside the Fernbahnhof.

Posted by
19052 posts

If you take that same 7:31 RB, you go all the way to Rüsselsheim, where you change (16 min) to the S-bahn. It stops in the Fernbahnhof at 9:03. You can also take a 7:05 RB from Bacharach, change in Mainz to an S-bahn, then change again in Raunheim (one stop after Rüsselsheim), and get to the Fernbahnhof at 8:30.

Either of these connections is by regional train. The fare for two people is €19 (9,50 each). If you are 3-5 people, you might want to use a €25 Rhienland-Pfalz-ticket.