Please sign in to post.

Spain

I am traveling to Spain for the first time ever.. ;) and i wanted to ask some questions. I have heard that you should put a copy of your passaport in your luggage is that safe??. is it necessary to wear a money belt? cant you just keep the money in ur pocket?

Posted by
576 posts

The term "pickpocket" refers to the act of picking things out of pockets. Therefore, anything in the pockets can possibly (and apparently easily) be removed by clever thieves. Experienced travelers don't advocate wearing moneybelts because it's a cool thing to do or they're really comfortable to wear. People wear them so there is almost no possibility to have your crucial credit cards, passports and cash stolen. It's your choice whether you become a victim or not.

Posted by
23296 posts

It is safe in the suitcase as long as you make some effort to secure it. Second, a copy of the passport is not that useful to a thief BUT very useful to you if have to prove that you once had a passport.

Posted by
10344 posts

If you wear a money belt or equivalent accessory (neck wallets, sewn in pockets, etc) under your clothing, you never have to worry about losing the vital stuff (ATM card, credit card, deep cash stash that--if the pick pockets get it--can ruin or seriously disrupt your trip. You mentioned just keeping things in your pocket. The pick pockets of Europe love to hear that--that's how they keep making a living, and they're good at what they do. Most travelers keep the day's spending money in a more accessible place, not in the money belt.Rick's 1 minute video clip (kindly posted by Michael) explains all this.

Posted by
356 posts

If you are concerned about whether a money belt will be inconvenient you could always keep a small amount of change in your pocket incase you want to buy a coffee etc. You definitely should use a money belt for everything else though.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the advice.. i am new to the traveling thing ;)

Posted by
8688 posts

Thanks for the thanks. Always nice to hear that from a "Newbie." If you scroll down on this General Europe page you'll see Moneybelt. Read that post as well.
It will help understand why we all use one or something else to deter pick pockets. Please come back with other questions as you continue to plan for your trip.

Posted by
1358 posts

Yes, Mily, you can keep the money in your pocket. Until someone relieves you of it.

I was always complacent with my money in a neck pouch. Then one day I grabbed a hand in my pocket while standing on a crowded bus in Rome.

A pickpocket was trying to relieve me of my money. I am not complacent any longer.

Posted by
36 posts

i dont really wear belts but want to be safe. thanks again

Posted by
9363 posts

Mily, a money belt isn't really a belt. It's more like an envelope that you wear around your waist under your clothes. The pouch part is wide enough for your passport, and there are various configurations of sections for money and credit cards.

Posted by
36 posts

thanks for the advice ;).. but do u think a clip wallet would work? its like a money clip just a lil bigger and you wear it inside your pants with the clip on the outside

Posted by
23296 posts

No, I am not a big fan of the clips. Obviously better than nothing. But if it is easy for your to get to, then it can be easy for someone else. Rick Steves likes to use the phrase, a money belt is like safety deposit box --- or something close to that. Put the important stuff in the money pouch, wear it under you clothing where it is even hard for you to get to. Put a few Euro in a zippered pocket and maybe a credit card in the other zippered pocket.

Posted by
9363 posts

Besides, with part of the clip visible you're practically advertising where your money is.