Please sign in to post.

Italy in March

I am traveling to Italy and will be on a 10 day tour that starts in Milan, then to Venice, Assisi, Florence, Sorrento, Pisa, Capri and ending up in Rome. What is the weather at this time of year? I am stressing out about what to pack and any advice would be appreciated! I am going from 3/26-4/4.

Posted by
503 posts

Variable. I have been twice in March. During those trips the highs were high 50s to mid 60s. At night it got down to mid 40s to low 50s. I love traveling in that kind of weather. We didn't have many days of rain, (which surprised me) but when it rained, it was a torrential downpour. (I bought a large poncho in Italy, cheap, that I still use) And, it snowed once. Very beautiful, quite heavy, but melted within hours.

I take layers. I have a leather jacket, very tailored and rather close fitting, that I take along with an "overcoat" (it hits me at mid-thigh) that I can wear over the jacket if it is too cold for the coat or jacket alone. the "overcoat" is reversible, one side is black and white houndstooth, and the other side is a black raincoat. (I am so glad I bought it. I got it at Talbots in 2005 and since then I have seen similar coats there) With those two coats, some sweaters, and silk underwear, I have been prepared for whatever the weather threw at me.

Posted by
503 posts

and I left out that I usually take a black fleece vest.

Posted by
1883 posts

Just plan on layers for your clothing. Bring a light fleece jacket, a light weight rain jacket and a sweater to keep you warm.

you can expect some rain showers. Warmer south,(Rome, Assisi) cooler when in Venice/Florence.

Skip the zip off pants-to-shorts. Too touristy. A nice pair of pants that dry quickly (Nylon fabric) like ISIS or Prana or Lole make would be great. you only need 4-5 tops, don't bring more than one sleeveless shirt. Skip the jeans - too heavy. Maybe one pair of shorts for Sorrento/Capri, but capri pants are a better choice.

Bring a pair of sandals for Sorrento/Capri. Good walking shoes for everywhere else.

A jersey knit skirt or dress is a nice item to have for dinners, and even touring during the day. Plan on a scarf to dress up, or over your shoulders for warmth in resturants or churches.

Don't bring a bunch of jewelry. Pack for ONE week, and plan to wash. you can wear the same outfit more than once. Get everything in a carry on size bag, and you will be one happy traveler.

Posted by
956 posts

As they said, just bring layers. We went from the 14th to 28th of March a few years ago, and in Germany, there was snow on the ground (in the Alps), but when we got to Rome, it was very warm! My husband and I recall it being in the 70's a few of the days when it was sunny... I'm sure you could find a chart online that shows the "climate" of each of those cities so you know the typical highs and lows of each of those cities.

Posted by
956 posts

GREAT site, Ken. I'm going to save that one as a favorite!