Please sign in to post.

Italy in August

I'm new to the board, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy this summer, and the only free time we have is the first two weeks in August.

I've read several things on this site and others that don't paint the most ideal photo for travel in Italy in August. Does anybody have any advice, ideas for itinerary, etc.?

Thanks.

Posted by
204 posts

I would try to pick another month if possible. Sept or later. July and August are the worst months for Italy. Too many tourists, too hot, few Italians (their traditional vacation month).

Posted by
6898 posts

I believe that August is vacation month for many Italians. Make sure that you have firm hotel reservations and note that some trains could be full. Note also that seat reservations are not permitted on the local regional trains. If no seats, you can stand. Not much fun but, like a busy bus or commute train, they will get you to where you are going.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks - unfortunately, those are the only two weeks we can go. We were thinking of renting a car and spending some time in the country.

Any idea on how crowded Cinque Terre or spots in Umbria might be?

Posted by
800 posts

We've been to Italy twice now in summer and it is our favorite country. While it would be nice to be there off-season, it is by no means horrible to be there in August. Some tips:

1) Yes, decide now on your itinerary and book hotels for each night. What you lose in flexibility you will gain by not spending your precious time looking for a place to stay. Stay 2-3 nights in each place and DON'T try to see the entire country at once. Consider carefully going to smaller places that could be overwhelmed by summer traffic - we've not been to CT yet, will probably save that for a different time.

2) Get out EARLY on the days that you will see big sites - we loved our walk through relatively quiet streets to St. Peter's (in late July). When we came back out after our visit I couldn't believe the mobs of people. Glad we had seen it before it was so crowded.

3) Research museums where you can get tickets/reservations ahead of time (Uffizi) and book one or two.

4) Head back to your cool, dark room after lunch for rest and to escape the heat of the day. You need to get back out in the late afternoon and dinner isn't until 8:00 pm anyway so you will still have a full day!

5) Carry a water bottle and keep it full (yes, you can drink the water, including many public fountains). Take a short break after your first major site/2+ hours for a cool drink. Eat a real sit-down lunch every other day or so - great food, wine, cafe - you get the picture.

6) Pompeii is hot and dusty. Plan accordingly.

7) Many small hotels in Tuscany have pools - take advantage.

8) Leave your jeans at home. Not doing the "can I wear jeans in Europe" debate - but really, summer in Italy is HOT. Jeans are heavy & HOT. Lightweight clothing is the way to go. Plus you can bring more (shirts, not bottoms) and you'll look and feel great.

9) Eat gelato every day. Repeat.

10) Enjoy a somewhat slower pace. You really will be miserable if you are trying to do too much in the heat and crowds.

Posted by
401 posts

I think Karen has excellent advice. And there are advantages to being in Rome in August, it does kind of empty out and slow down a bit, less traffic and more elbow room at the bar. Rome is hot but it is a dry heat with lots of nice breezes so its not unbearable, when I lived there I kind of liked it. If you head north, towards Florence and Venice you find it becomes more humid. Retreat to your hotel after lunch and plan on a nice long pausa and then go out again after 4 or 5 pm but stay out late, Italian cities are wonderful after dark and in the summer people stay out until all hours. Be prepared for crowds and full hotels in places near the sea, but Cinque Terra is more popular with tourists than Italians, if you want to go the beach there are so many places to consider along the coast don't feel you have to go up to Liguria to see some gorgeous coastline. I second the ice cream suggestion as well. It may not be that bad, the last few years we have had pleasant Augusts and boiling Junes so go figure.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for the excellent advice! Would you have any specific recommendations for less-travelled coastal towns and/or mountain towns? Last year, we spent time in the southern hill country of Spain in a small village and LOVED IT! We were hoping to do some of the same in Italy.

Posted by
521 posts

My biggest problem with Italy in August were the trains... the Eurostar Italia trains (the high-speed trains that run between major cities) were very comfortable and fully air-conditioned. On the other hand, pretty well every other train was jam-packed and overheating. Despite that, I had a great time and did not regret it at all, though I would try to travel in a different month if given the choice in the future.

The one big recommendation is that if you go to popular museums in large cities, make sure you have reservations in advance.

Posted by
1003 posts

Our family's last trip to Italy was in August 2007 and we had a great trip! Some of the best weather we have had here. We, too, were hesitant about going in August as in the past we had only been to Italy in June and July and had heard and read things about going in August. Our college-age son was taking a summer class that didn't end until August 1 so we left home on August 2 and flew into Venice, got our rental car and set off for Padova. Spent Friday night here and part of Sat. sightseeing before heading to our agriturismo, Ca del Baldo, near Lake Garda (Sat.-Sat.) Great A/C in our apt. but did not need it. Great location for daytrips around the area (many lovely small villages on Lake Garda, Verona) and beautiful weather. After a week here, we headed to our next agriturismo, La Fornace, right outside of Assisi for the next week. We did run into some traffic on the autostrada near Bologna (which we were told we probably would as it was a Sat. and many Italians head to the coast for the weekend) and on our way for a short stop in Ravenna to see the mosaics. We did daytrips all around Umbria--Todi, Gubbio, Spello, Perugia, Deruta, Civita di Baggnoregio, Orvieto, Bevagna, Montelfaco and everything was open regular hours and we didn't notice anything different. The weather again here was spectacular.No A/C in our apt. here but did not need it.La Fornace had a lovely evening barbeque on Ferragasto Day for all the guests and earlier in the day we went to Spello and things were open--shops and restaurants.After our week here, we headed back to Venice for 4 days and did run into some traffic on the autostrada when we were nearing Florence but again it was on a Sat. he weather in Venice was perfect too. ave been here when it was hot!Having been in Italy in June and July when it was extremely hot in some areas, we would not hesitate to visit again in Aug. Cinque Terre and Amalfi c. would probably be much more crowded in Aug. Visited these places on a July trip. Go for it!

Posted by
75 posts

Well, it can be really hot, especially the cities. The metro in Rome can be very congested, hot and sweaty. But it's Italy! Any time you go is worth it! (except maybe Easter) And it's an adventure, you learn to appreciate shade and frozen drinks and a breeze. I would try to reserve an air conditioned room. Your clothing should be super light weight, no jeans, and men should avoid wearing shorts and never a bare chest unless you are on the beach. Also, the larger churches and cathedrals will not allow you in with shorts, men or women, and shoulders must be covered. Have a wonderful trip and think cool!