Please sign in to post.

Rome restaurants

We we get to Rome we are staying near Santa Maria Maggoriore, anyone know a good resonable restaurant near there? Also good restaurant near the Pantheon or Colosseum? We are on a budget need lower priced places to eat.

Posted by
16 posts

LOTS of places to eat near tourist spots are WAY overpriced -- just LOOK at the prices BEFORE you go in -- that way you wlll not be surprised:(

Posted by
8688 posts

Don't know where that area of Rome is exactly and not sure what "budget" means to you. ByWays Cafe as opposed to Mother's if were talking Portland, OR? That said here are some places I liked in Rome and didn't find expensive. Augusto's in Trastevere. Piazza de Renzi, Costanza Piazza del Paradiso, Gino Vicolo Rosini and the "Pizza by the Slice," Pizza Art ib Via Arenula near Largo Argentina.

Also to keep costs down, drink coffee and eat breakfast standing up. Cafes charge more if you sit down, especially outside. Grab some fresh items at the open air market in Campo Fiori and have picnic lunch, and make lunch the main meal of day (cheaper menus) and have it at a wine bar. Lastly, stroll two blocks away from any main tourist center and listen to what people are saying if you see a cafe, wine bar, or trattoria that peaks your interest. If everyone is speaking Italian your where the locals and not the tourists go. Seriously, I have always found the BEST spots when I intentionally get lost and wander.

Posted by
8 posts

Try the Pizzeria Baffeto just west of the Piazza Navona. World famous for the best pizza in Rome.