Please sign in to post.

Ryan Air - carry on luggage

I am trying to find a carry on bag that would meet Ryan Air carry on standards (50cm x 40cm x 20cm or 21.56? x 15.74? x 7.87). I’ve checked eBags, Rick Steves and other websites but was unable to find the size that would be a perfect match to RA requirements. My husband and I will be going from Canada to France-Portugal for 3 weeks and would like to travel light, no check in, carry on luggage only. Please advise where I can find my “dream” carry on bag as every cm/inch counts.

Thanks a lot!

Posted by
4555 posts

Natalia, you're unlikely to find one that will be an EXACT match to Ryanair's measurements, so you'll just have to get as close as you can without going over. And PLEASE remember that Ryanair and other airlines will count the added length of the wheels on the bottom and the handle on the top, so don't go with manufacturers' measurements...check EVERYTHING with your own tape measure. To get the maximum cargo capacity, use your tape measure to check out the actual inside size of the cargo compartments. You're looking for the maximum storage space possible; length x width x depth. So a suitcase where the cargo measurements are 45cm x 40cm x 18 cm (total space, 32,400 cu. cm) is going to have more space than one that is 48 cm long, 36cm wide, and 17 cm deep (total, 29,376 cu cm). So maybe bring a calculator along, too. :)

Posted by
14987 posts

Natalia....do you want a bag with wheels or without?

If without, there are lots of choices as long as you don't over pack and get something with outside compression straps.

Rick Steves Convertible
Patagonia MLC
Tom Bihn Western Flyer
Red Oxx Air Boss

Only the RS bag is available at Ebags. The Patagonia can be found online and in stores. The Tom Bihn and Red Oxx are only available from the manufacturer.

If you want wheels, you may have a problem.

Posted by
19092 posts

I agree with Frank. As long as you have a bag without a rigid frame, and you don't overpack, it shouldn't be a problem - the bag will squish to fit in. My ETBD convertible bag is probably a little thicker than 20cm, but it has always fit into the sizing box that Lufthansa has by the gate.

I have always found that I reached the weight limit (8 kg, 17.6#, on Lufthansa; however, 10 kg, 22# on Ryan) before my bag was really full, so for me it's weight, not size. Since my limit was weight, not size, I switched to the slightly smaller (20" lng), lighter (1¾#) Essential Carryon from Campmor.

Posted by
19092 posts

Just trying to keep current. I tried another website and found the Expandable Carryon. Looks like if you didn't pack it to the limit, the thickness could squeeze down to the 20 cm limit. What I was really interested in was the weight (9.1#). That means on RyanAir, 40% of your carryon limit (22#) would be just the empty bag - you'd get less than 13# of stuff. And on Lufthansa the empty bag would be over half the allowed weight - you could only carry 8½ of clothes, etc.

And, I have found that a lot of the wheeled bags are very rigid, and cannot deform easily, so if it is 1½ inches narrower and 1/2 inch thicker, you can't pack it almost full and squeeze it down and out. A lot of the European airlines allow you 15-7/4 inches of width, but few bags use that allowance.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Natalia,

Delsey make a wheeled case almost to the exact sizes of the Ryanair dimensions which are actually 55x40x20. But you cant over pack it as if its too full it will not fit in the metal measuring stand they have at the boarding gates, and they WILL check it, I only used it for a flight a couple of weeks ago and they did! I fly with them all the time and they're great but they charge for every extra and there has been talk in the paper recently that they may charge to use the loo! So be prepared. Btw I fly to southern France a lot so if you want any travel advice/tips/places to stay, let me know. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
19092 posts

Jessica, what model Delsey? Everything I have found is bigger.

Posted by
14987 posts

The Helium Fusion 21 is 1/2 inch thicker than Ryanair's numbers. But Lee, it's not for you...it has wheels and we all know how much you love luggage with wheels...:)

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions. We've just purchased two TravelPro Crew6 Deluxe Totes (28 x 41 x 20cm). :-)
Also, we will be flying with easyJet and ClickAir not RyanAir as originally planned. Jessica - south of France sounds fantastic but it is not on our list for this trip though. Paris, Porto, Sintra, Lisbon, the Algarve, Seville and back to Paris... Everything is booked but the Algarve. If you know any good places to stay, please let me know. Thanks!

Posted by
1 posts

Natalia,

We did the Algarve in 2007 - we chose the two places Rick featured in his book - Tavira and Salema. We really liked both places. In Tavira we stayed at the Princesa do Gilao - nothing to write home about, but the rooms were clean, the place was quiet, affordable, and well located. In Salema, we stayed at Pension Mare - a wonderful place to stay. We had the upstairs apartment - it came sans breakfast, but the size and view more than made up for it.

Posted by
9 posts

Dale,

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll check them out.

Natalia