Please sign in to post.

A Big Thank you

Hi All

I know I haven't been around for a while, but I just had to pop in to say a VERY big thank you to you all for offering advice and asking the questions that I was also seeking the answers on.

I went to Europe for the first time in September for 2 months, and I had the best time ever! In fact, it has now been 6 months since I first left, and I have to say that I am really sad and a little depressed because I miss UK/Europe so much!! There are so many other places around the world that I want to see, and places that I would love to experience, but I can't stop thinking about going back!!

However, I will have to save up again to go, but my next trip is a cruise around Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia in August!

Once again, thank you all so much!! You all really helped me on my trip!

~Whirlsie~

Posted by
582 posts

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time!
Which countries did you like best?
One of these days, I'll visit Australia! A big dream of mine!

Posted by
115 posts

Hi Lisa

I visited 15 countries!! But I would have to say that I loved different countries for different reasons!

For historical sites I loved London (I adored The Tower of London), Edinburgh and Rome.

I found Scotland, Germany and Switzerland the most beautiful and scenic. And I loved Neuswanstein Castle!

I also loved Krakow!! It was so cheap and so quiet and relaxing. it was so pretty too. I preferred Krakow over Prague!

I also visited Auschwitz - it was one of the most hauntingly memorable places I have ever been! So horrifying! I also visited the Terror Museum in Budapest which also had me in tears. After seeing all of this I have never been so glad to be an Aussie!

I really can't wait to go back and explore more! I want to see more of the UK, Greece, Turkey and Egypt.

Posted by
115 posts

Oh and I also ran into quite a few people carrying Rick Steves guidebooks in Rome. Plus we stayed at a hotel in Rome that had a RS Tour staying there :) lol

Posted by
582 posts

Looks like a real dream trip! I hope to go to Paris this fall, so I should get to London since it's easy to get there from Paris. I've heard wonderful things about London. Did you get to Paris? If so, what did you think of it? My trip will be only two places because I wont have too much time to see more. Mine will be a Paris/London trip. Or maybe London/Paris if I get a better deal flying into London.
But anyway, I'm glad you had a great time. You sure have seen some interesting places!

Posted by
115 posts

Oh I adored London!! So much to see and to do!!

Paris, for me was a little disapointing. I think I had a perception of how it was going to be, and it didnt live up to it. However, I only did spend 1 full day there and I think that if I go back I would definately stay in Paris for a few more days.

Also, in Paris i would HIGHLY reccommend the Fat Bike Tours! We had the best time on ours!! so much fun and you get to see so much and get a great history lesson!

Posted by
2030 posts

Lisa - London/Paris is a great trip. (I'm doing it again this year, for the third time) I recommend doing London first, because after Paris, (great city that London is) it will be a let down.

Also Leeana, one day in Paris is way too little. I hope you get a chance to re-visit it someday and learn to appreciate (or love) it.

Posted by
582 posts

The fat bike tours are wonderful! I went to that in Berlin! The guide was the best.
And, I will think more about London before Paris. Even people that love Paris say that the first trip there was over whelming. I felt that way on my first trip to Rome! But that's okay. I love adventure! I'm learning all I can about Paris so it will be less over whelming. Pat sure is a big help on that topic!!

Posted by
10230 posts

Lisa - Doing a London - Paris trip is a great idea and I second the suggestion to go to London before Paris. I did it the other way and after Paris, London did not make as big an impact. Don't get me wrong, London is wonderful, but Paris is fantastic. One day is definitely not enough time there. My first trip I was in both Paris & London for 5 days at the end of an almost 4 week trip. We just went back for New Years and spent 10 nights in Paris. I could go back again right now and still see new things.

Posted by
582 posts

Thanks for all the advice!
No, I wasn't going to spend only one day in London. I was thinking 5 days in London and 5 days in Paris.
Even 5 days isn't going to be enough time in each place, but sure is better than nothing!

Posted by
15589 posts

Many people don't see the beauty of Paris right away. It happened to me ... only on the 3rd day did it hit me. A few years later I returned with a friend who had exactly the same experience. They say it is because every is grey that some people need time to get accustomed to it. Have a great trip, Lisa!

Posted by
582 posts

Hi Chani, it's been awhile since we had a chat!
Well, as of now, I'm only just in the thought stages to be going on this trip. I'm trying to come up with enough money, and am hoping my elderly mother will stay well, but not just because of my trip of course!
Most of the time, I buy my trip six months in advance. I may buy a trip about two months in advance this time. I hope I can still get a good deal! Maybe so, since I'll be traveling in the fall.
Gosh, I just realized, I highjacked this thread!
So sorry Leeana! But, your input was helpful, and I hope someday I can stay in Europe for two months! You're so lucky!!!