Please sign in to post.

BeNeLux Itinerary

This is mostly a trappists beer trip that I am planning. We understand most of them are closed to public, but the cafes they are affiliated with, are open. So any help will be greatly appreciated. We have to start in Brussels but we can fly open jaw out of Amsterdam.

Day 1: Arrive at night (Overnight Brussels)
Day 2: Brussels (Overnight Brussels)
Day 3: Bruges and Antwerp + Late night train to Luxembourg (Overnight Luxembourg)
Day 4: Luxembourg (Overnight in Luxembourg)
Day 5: Road trip: Luxembourg-->Orval-->Chimay --> Rochefort--> Antwerp (Overnight Antwerp)
Day 6: AM: Road trip from Antwerp to ***Westmalle PM: Thalys train to Amsterdam via Rotterdam (Overnight in Amsterdam)
Day 7: Amsterdam (Overnight in Amsterdam)
Day 8: Harlem day trip (Overnight in Amsterdam)
Day 9: Depart Amsterdam

** Roadtrip 1: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=arlon,+belgium&daddr=orval,+belgium+to:chimay,+belgium+to:rochefort,+belgium+to:namur,+belgium&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=50.291094,5.115509&sspn=0.436053,0.866547&ie=UTF8&ll=50.227881,4.9823&spn=0.87326,1.733093&z=9

*** Roadtrip 2: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=antwerp,+belgium&daddr=Westmalle,+belgium&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=51.246145,4.547355&sspn=0.208895,0.427094&ie=UTF8&z=11

Posted by
75 posts

I have been to all these places many times; you are in for a great trip. Are you familiar with the Michelin guides? The ones with road maps have a feature where the roads of beauty are highlighted in green, and there are many in the Ardennes, where much of your driving is. Sometimes the "best" way is not the fastest way to get where you are going, but the distances are small and the time "lost" by being inefficient is insignificant if you have a fun driving experience.

Also, the roads are not as well marked in Belgium as they are in France or Germany, so be prepared for some wrong turns. Roads are often not numbered on signs, just the name of the next town mentioned.

Happy travels.

Posted by
1358 posts

You don't say that you will drive, but I will assume that you will.

I use a GPS here; and based on experience of other tourists letters I have read on this page, I would suggest that you take one with you or rent one with your car.

Street and highway signing is often poor or lacking altogether. The benefit I enjoy with my GPS is the warning I get in advance when I must turn or choose a "Y". That advance warning makes changing lanes much easier.

Read previous letters regarding driving in Europe.