Please sign in to post.

Paris to Normandy day trip

We are planning a day trip in March, taking a train from Paris to Caen, then visiting several D Day sights and the museum. We would like to be met at the station by a tour guide and returned there at end of the day. I have reviewed several of the tour companies info and am looking for suggestions/feedback for a reasonable and interesting tour. Thanks.

Posted by
79 posts

Hi Judy..

I don't have answers for you..

but I thought you might enjoy looking at this personal website of the region.

I learned about it, when the creator and I were both on a blogging message board..

I think you will enjoy it and the music is just beautiful.
Also check out the info section for additional info on the area

Here's the address

http://manormandie.googlepages.com

Posted by
10344 posts

Links relating to your question:D Day beach toursanother linkone moreAbout 80% to 90% of the travelers, reporting in here, have avoided doing the D-Day Beaches as a day trip from Paris, not enough time to see what they're going there to see. Many of them do a night at Bayeux.

Posted by
264 posts

The personable, knowledgeable guide meets you at the station (and returns you) on the DD-day tour provided by the Memorial de Caen. The tour includes a guided tour the museum, a great lunch, and a guided minivan tour of the beaches and American cemetary. They really take care of all the planning and all the work for you! I have done this tour myself and highly recommend it! You may buy your tickets at linkparis.com. You can save a bit by buying your train tickets on your own. (Not the rail Europe tickets on the site.)

And, there was plenty of time to see everything that I wanted to see. The tour is at a very comfortable pace. No rushing!

Posted by
1 posts

Trying to do any WW2 stuff as part of a day trip from Paris is not going to give you much. Stay at least 1-2 nights in Bayeux (2 hour train ride from Paris)and take a tour or two from Battlebus. Bayeux is a beautiful little town and the tours they provide far exceed anything you could ever do on your own. Invest in a couple of days there, you won't be sorry.

Posted by
264 posts

It's apparent there is a difference in attitude here of people who only have a few days in Europe compared to those who are fortunate enough to stay for extended periods of time.

Posted by
586 posts

Sounds to me if you have time, stay in Bayeaux at least one night. If not, take the day trip anyway; while it won't be as good as if you had more time, to me, would still be better than not seeing it at all!