Please sign in to post.

Has anyone used this service to call home from Europe? Have you had problems with it, is it easy to use?

Posted by
2207 posts

We've used Skype for years. The new version (4.0) is even better! You can use Skype at many internet cafes throughout Europe... or carry your wirelss computer, connect , and show folks where you're staying! There are other options, such as Skype Out, which provide even more flexibility.

Posted by
9109 posts

Yeah the new 4.0 version is amazing, sound quality especially to landlines is greatly improved. When I was in China last month I needed to call my credit union, and the sound was as good as a regular phone call. The duration of the call was about 10 minutes and cost only ten cents! With Skype you can also dial U.S. toll free numbers from anywhere in the world(although it's not free); something you can't do with the regular phone companies.

Posted by
4555 posts

Use it all the time. Audio quality can be variable, depending on your internet connection and how busy the internet is when you call. But it's FREE!!

Posted by
1336 posts

It works fine.The quality of line is much better than it used to be.

Posted by
800 posts

From one Atlanta Karen to another - Skype is great. Have used it extensively in the past year to call US to Europe and reverse, computer to computer (for free) or computer to cell/land lines (cheap). Sound quality is great - even used it in the US when my daughter was in a part of Vermont where she had terrible cell service. It was MUCH better than trying to get a clear call with her cell. Download it and get used to it before you travel - not that it is very difficult!

Posted by
102 posts

I do not use Skype but Yahoo Messenger has a similar one and I use it daily to call my parents computer. I do not have a landline any longer because it works great and is free. I am usually on the phone with them for an hour and you can also use webcam to see each other. With Yahoo messenger the voice quality is great. Sometimes we are suddenly cut off but I just call right back and we are on again no problem. You can also leave a voice mail with it. I totally recommend!

Posted by
442 posts

We used Skype in Austria to call several locations in Canada. It worked very well. If you have a micro-phone, the sound is better for those you call.

Posted by
98 posts

I love Skype and it's free! We used it to talk to our son in Africa and Georgia and our daughter in Florida. Just downloaded the 4.0 version which is great. I plan on using it from London to call home next week.

Posted by
386 posts

SKYPE is my umbilical cord to friends and family around the world, I use it daily.

The quality has dramatically improved, even though it does depend on high speed internet access..
In Austria few people still have a landline, Skype or similar services + a cell phone are sufficient to cover all your needs at low cost.

If the person you are calling via Skype also has a Skype ID, your calls are free of charge, no matter where in the world.

I was always really surprised that it isn't as popular in the USA as it is in the rest of the world.
Already years ago, I had installed it on all the library PCs as a service to my library patrons, but there was very little interest.

I can't imagine life without it, I talk to my children around the world daily, often for hours.

Google has a similar service now through Gmail/Googlemail, but I haven't really used it much, even though it's perfectly okay.

http://www.skype.com/

Posted by
163 posts

I don't know a lot about skype...we're going to Europe in May. Would we be able to use a computer in an internet lounge to call home, as long as they had skype downloaded on that computer? And at the computer we call at home? Or would we need our own laptop in Europe? Is it very likely that we would find public computers anywhere that have skype on them?

Posted by
9109 posts

A lot of internet cafes have Skype installed on their computers. You will need to have your Skype account to use it though.

Posted by
1003 posts

Over a 6-week trip to Europe, I used Skype every few days. Most of my hotels had wireless. But even in Rome, where I had to go to an internet cafe, Skype was installed on their computer and each computer was equipped with a headset with a microphone so I used skype there too (and so were most of the people in the i-cafe). Can't recommend it enough, it's a huge money-saver, that is for sure. Even here in the US, I use it to talk to my parents on the other side of the country. We talk all the time, and it's always free, and convenient too (my parents can both listen on their computer speakers instead of both getting on the phone or one relaying messages to the other).

Posted by
13 posts

Can you use it to call a landline from a computer? It'd be easier to do that rather than set up a specific time to call onto a computer back home.

Posted by
9109 posts

Yes, you can call regular land line/mobile phone numbers, though this method is not free. But it's very cheap, about 2 or 3 cents a minute. You will need to put a minimum of $10.00 in your Skype account via your credit card.

Posted by
386 posts

Nickol,

there is a Skype option called Skype Out, that is what you want, with it you can call cell phones and landlines for mere cents per minute anywhere in the world. Like Michael said, you need to set up the Skype Out with €10 via a credit or debit card or Paypal.
Those $10 will last you for many HOURS of worldwide talk, however.

The Skype software is just a small program, really easily installed, and the interface is really user friendly.

Posted by
57 posts

Skype is awesome Karen, I used it while in Europe, staying at hostels and I used the wi-fi that was available. The calls were crystal clear. I called home and I used it to call ahead for B&B or hostel reservations. See My article on Skype

Cheers,
Maggie

Posted by
524 posts

I've never initiated a call using Skype, but I've received several. Sound quality is very good. One option is to buy a skype phone, allowing you to use skype without lugging around a laptop. You'll still need a skype account, and you'll need to buy the phone, so you may or may not find this option worth it. But frequent users might.

If interested in more info, just do a search on the internet "skype phone" or "skype phone wifi" or similar.

Posted by
380 posts

Thanks everyone, you've helped make my decision. Now I just have to set up the account and download the software.