Please sign in to post.

luggage storage in Italy?

I'm traveling for a month in Italy and plan to stay in a variety of places including hostels, small hotels, convents and agriturismos. I'd prefer leaving my luggage in my room instead of dragging it around. Are the rooms in Italy generally safe? Do most hotels/hostels offer luggage storage? Has anyone had experience with the luggage storage facilities at bus/train stations? Are they safe? Thanks for all answers!!

Posted by
32216 posts

Doris,

Yes, absolutely leave your luggage in your room! The rooms in Italy ARE "generally safe" (however no guarantees). Some Hostels provide lockers, but you'll have to supply your own Padlock (these are often sold at the front desk of Hostels). Don't leave anything of value in your luggage when you're out touring for the day. I've never stayed in a Convent, but I'm assuming this would be about the safest type of accommodation.

You might want to have a look at the Italy 2009 Guidebook or Europe Through The Back Door, as there's lots of of good information there.

Happy travels!

Posted by
20 posts

If you haven't found it yet, there is a great website for booking convents and monasteries - www.monasterystays.com. They can book you into over 300 monasteries and convents all over Italy.
Monasteries are safe to leave you luggage in but keep your passport and money safe where ever you are travelling