Please sign in to post.

Eurail Pass

Can the Eurail Pass be used within or aroung a city like Paris or Rome?

Posted by
7570 posts

Generally, no. There are some lines within each city that are covered by a railpass, but most of the local transport (Subways, Metros, Buses, Trams, and some regional lines) is not. The booklet that comes with the pass details those that are (but not necessarily those that are not)

Posted by
19100 posts

You might be able to find that information on the Eurail website.

As Paul just said, the local transit systems, like the Metro in Paris, are independent from the French Rail, which honors the pass. However, in Paris, I believe the larger commuter line, the RER, might honor the railpass.

Posted by
668 posts

Even on those routes that do accept the pass, be careful how you use it as you may be using a day of the pass for a very cheap fare. It is often better to pay the local fare and keep the pass for longhaul trips.

Posted by
1568 posts

When using a Rail Pass...divide the # of Rail Pass days into the total cost of the Rail Pass which will give the the cost of a Rail Pass day.

Always check the cost of a point-to-point ticket...if it is less than a Rail Pass day...buy P2P.

Also, use this when deciding the number of Rail Pass days when purchasing your Rail Pass.

Posted by
19100 posts

Iain and JB, you have a good point. It is usually less expensive to use local metro district tickets for traveling in a city. However, sometimes people are coming into a city from a long train trip with a railpass and want to know if they continue by local transportation from the main station to their hotel.

Not usually. Some trains in a metro area (most S-Bahn in Germany, RER in Paris, etc) are covered because they are run by the national rail company that recognizes the pass. Subways, streetcars and buses are not usually covered.

If I were looking at how many days of a railpass to get, I would look at the total cost for all of you days of travel or at the marginal cost of each day rather than the overall average. An adult 5 day select pass costs over $100 per day, but days 9 and 10 are only about $40 per day.