Please sign in to post.

Weather in Sept.

Hi- We are considering doing Chamonix for a few days while we are in France this coming Sept. How is the weather that time of year? Thanks, Kim

Posted by
10344 posts

The weather in a mountain area, such as Chamonix and the Alpine areas of Switzerland, totally depends on where you are in the Chamonix area, at what elevation. If you're in town it might be 65 to 70 in September. But if you take the gondola to the top of the Aiguille du Midi, the air temp will be about 35 degrees colder than in town because, it's 9000+ feet higher up there, and the wind chill is likely to make it feel even colder.

Posted by
1288 posts

Kent is exactly right- it will be cold up high. However, I have been to Chamonix 3 times in September, and all 3 times we had great weather. It has been my own experience (in other words no evidence to back this up-just anecdotal experience) that the mountains tend to be out more in Chamonix. Twice we have left the swiss alps because they were all socked in and gone to Chamonix and had great weather. There is also great hiking in the area. The only warning I have is that they close the Helbrunner ride to Italy down in the fall. We were there the end of September last year and it was already closed.