Please sign in to post.

London Neighborhoods

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of going to London in April (saw some great deals online), but I'm not exactly sure of some of the neighborhoods. I found a nice-looking (well rated on tripadvisor) hotel in the Bayswater area (northwest of Kensington Garden). The hotel looks to be pretty close to the underground, so I'm not too worried about getting around the city.

Does anyone know if this is a safe area? Are there different neighborhoods you would suggest for a single woman traveling on her own?
Thanks!

Posted by
14812 posts

Gretchen, London is a vast city with many areas to stay in. On this board you will get so many different opinions...

I personally prefer the South Kensington area. It's a mixture of locals and tourists just 15 minutes from the center of everything. I've always stayed in this area and feel at home there.

Others on this board will have good things to say about the Bayswater/Paddington area as well as the area around Victoria Coach Station.

Posted by
3551 posts

Nr Kensington garden is a nice area. Bayswater tube is in a multi-ethnic portion. Look at your hotel on a map if you are nr K Garden you are quite central and may not need tube much. you can walk in K. garden to alot of sights alone no prob. I did, I felt safe. But as anywhere limit your walking to daylight hours. In this area I like Garden COurt Hotel, great rates breakfast and reseidential area nr Kensington Park also recom. by RS.

Posted by
5471 posts

Gretchen, which hotel and which tube station is it by?

Posted by
262 posts

Gretchen,
I suggest South Kesington. It is a lovely area. Part residential and some hotels! Close to Kensington Palace and Hyde Park. Very easy to get around on the Tube and plenty of buses. You can feel very safe as a single woman in this area.

Happy Travels,
Debi

Posted by
356 posts

I would personally not be worried about any area that is central. The only places that I would avoid are some of the notorious areas in South and East London, but you are unlikely to be looking for hotels there! But to be honest I would still travel to these areas in the day, but would obviously keep my wits about me. Remember that the central areas are still going to be busy in the evening. I have walked through central London at 1am and not felt threatened at all simply because there were so many people around. As long as you are streetwise and don't walk around with "tourist" written on your forehead you will be fine! I have lived in London all my life (in some of the rougher areas) and have managed not to be killed or mugged yet!

Posted by
559 posts

Thanks for the replies so far. The hotel I'm looking at is the TOP Kensington Garden Hotel, approx. 2 blocks from the Bayswater Tube station. I found a great deal on expedia.com and the ratings on tripadvisor were pretty good. It's a 'basic' hotel, but that's all I'll need of course.

Posted by
780 posts

South Kensington and Earls Ct is awesome. I went in December and am going again for the first week of April (Yes, cheap flight, $553 non stop RT United).
Kensington High St (Near S. Kensington Tube) and Earls Ct Road (Earls Ct Tube)have lots of places to shop and eat and whatever you need after you get back from your daily "London" adventures. It is also not far from harrods, the V&A museum and Natural History museum. Also at Warwick and Cromwell streets in Earls ct, there is a 24 hr Tesco grocery store. The area is well lit and Cromwell is busy enough that there are always cars driving so even when walking late at night, you never feel "alone". I went as a female alone and some nights I was walking back to my hotel at 1 am and I felt very safe. Also knowing there isnt a huge gun population makes me feel a bit more safe.

Posted by
215 posts

We have stayed in the Bayswater area twice in the past four years and loved it, although not in the hotel you mention. It is convenient to both the Bayswater and Queensway tube stations, with many restaurants nearby as well at Whitely shopping center with a great Mark and Spencers. Also, Hyde Park is nearby for walks. I would not hesitate to stay in Bayswater again. My wife and I have walked in it both day and night and always felt safe.

Posted by
44 posts

I traveled alone to London in 04 and stayed in Princes Square, also a short walk from the Bayswater tube station. I didn't like my hotel, but I did like the area. I stayed alert when walking but never felt unsafe at all.

Posted by
5471 posts

Hi Gretchen,
The location you are looking at is fine. You are very close to the Whiteleys shopping center. I haven't been there recently, but Whiteleys used to have some good casual food options. Porchester Spa is also close by. It has a rec center and pool and spa run by the council. I lived in London for a year and frequently swam at this pool so have walked through this area many times. The street that the Bayswater tube station is on (Queensway) is a fairly busy street, but it looks like your hotel is on a quieter street. You also are an easy walk from the Notting Hill neighborhood.

London has lots of interesting neighborhoods and everyone has their favorites and preferences. If it looks good to you, I'd give it a go.