Please sign in to post.

Our Trip

Hello, my friend and I are going to Europe for 7 weeks. I wanted to run our stops or possible stops by you and see if anyone had any suggestions about places to add or subtract, things to see, or about great (cheap!) places to stay. Thanks!

Ireland
Dingle peninsula or wexford?
Dublin

Scotland
Dundee
Edinburgh
Highlands (any suggestions??)

England (wales???, ruthin, wales??/snowdonia national park)
Dover: cliffs, fortress, ferry
Day trip: Salisbury, bath, wimbledon, stonehendge (is this day trip to ambitious)?
Cambridge/oxford/durham (what is best?)
london

France
Paris-loire valley (good detour to spain?),
Versailles (day trip?)
Normandy
Calais (where ferry goes to)

Belgium
Brussels or Brugge?

Spain
Santandere or Santiana del mar/picos de europa (which is best?)
Barcelona

Germany
Rhine river: st. goar to bingen
Rothenburg o.d. tauber
Dusseldorf
Munich
(possibly Linderhoff castles, 55 mins from munich)

Italy
Rome
Venice
Lucca (Sienna/Umbria/Tuscany)
Cinque Terra

Switzerland
Luzerne? (day trip b/c we've heard its expensive)
Zermatt
Interlaken (Is it worth it if we aren't doing any extreme sports and we are going to Zermatt?)
Lake constance (if train through??)

Greece
Athens
Three island: Mikanos, Santarini, Paros?? (Which is best?)

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Keukenhof (March 20-may 18??)(day trip, 20 miles)

thank you!

Posted by
8947 posts

12 countries in 7 weeks. Or 42 cities in 7 weeks. Have you counted these before?

Please read some of the other posts on this forum to answer MANY of your questions. Also spend a bit with Google to get many of your answers. Then perhaps repost your questions broken down into the countries you want to go to and the cities or sights in that country you want to go to. Your post is very long and if we tried to answer each one of these questions with the transportation, the sites, times, where to stay, etc. it would take up the whole page.

You are the only person who can know if you want to visit a place or city depending on what you want to see.

Posted by
32212 posts

Kallie,

I agree with the previous post, in that you need to reduce this list to a more realistic level. There's no way you'll be able to see all those places in a 7 week trip. None of us here know which of those stops are most important to you, so it would help to have further information.

You might find it very helpful to read the "Itinerary planning" chapter in Europe Through The Back Door. There are a lot of good tips that will help you to plan a manageable Itinerary.

Good luck!

Posted by
1358 posts

You can do all that in 7 weeks, but you will slow down the last few weeks and consider eliminating some sites.

I did 10 countries in 6 weeks once, but I made fewer stops than you plan.

When you ask about cheap places to stay, I wonder if you are considering hostels. I like them for a change of pace.

Staying in over 20 of them in 22 years of travel gives me motivation to suggest you try some. They vary in size, cost and amenities; so sample a few of them before decide on continuing.

Research some by reading "Dublin hostels" webpages. Do the same for other towns. Look for those which offer travelers comments.

Many now offer private rooms with private baths in lieu of dormitory style bunks.