Please sign in to post.

one night in Paris

We are a family of three with an overnight stop in Paris on our way to Italy. We are there from 11am Sunday through 3pm Monday. I'm not sure if we should stay right at the airport or if it is fairly easy to get into town for some time in the city. Any ideas/tips please.

Posted by
12 posts

Into the city near the Notre Dame cathedral or Eiffel Tower is the ultimate. You will never regret it. But be aware of one thing. The distance to and from the airport is great. The trains work well until one goes on strike. Then it is the biggest nightmare you ever saw. Definitely take the train from CDG to town. If there is any question about getting back to the airport, take a cab. Do not hesitate. Train in, cab out.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for your help everyone! The way Rick talks about Paris in his 2008 guidebook, it seems it would be a shame not to just go for it. Train in, hopefully train out...be prepared to taxi back. This is my dream trip, so we're going for it. You only live once!

Posted by
8700 posts

For detailed information (including photos) on getting from CDG to Paris on the RER, go to the parisbytrain site.

Posted by
3250 posts

I agree Kris--go for it and go into the city! Take the RER as you suggested. In that amount of time, I'd park my luggage at the hotel and head straight for the Orsay Museum (my first choice but you could also chose the Louvre)--Rick's book does a good job of providing the museum layout so you could chose just the things that you're most interested in seeing. From there I'd take the metro to the Pont Marie station and walk through Ile Saint Louis to Notre Dame Cathedral. This would be a good place to break for ice cream or a crepe. Then I'd metro to the Arc de Triomphe trying to time it so that you'll be there at dusk--if you have lots of energy climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe to view the city from there before dark and then see the lights of Champs Elysees as it gets dark. Wander down the Champs Elysses a bit and take the metro back to your hotel. Rest abit and have dinner at a bistro possibly on Rue Cher so that you'd be close to the Eiffel Tower to see it at night after dinner. The Marais would also be a good option for dinner.

Monday morning you could chose a neighborhood or museum that you didn't get to see the day before (the Orangerie Museum is great and is open on Mondays.)

The key to making it work is to review the guidebook and map out your plan in the most efficient way (including metro routes) before you arrive. Buy a carnet (pack of 10) metro tickets at your first station.

It will be an intense schedule but absolutely worth it!

Posted by
3 posts

I would absolutely go into the city! I've done an overnight stay in Paris with about the same amount of time you will have and I'm doing it again this summer. It's worth it.

Posted by
110 posts

cant agree with Sharon.

Sorry S, but with 12 hours in Paris I dont want to spend a minute of it in a museum. I want to be out and about, strolling the streets, enjoying a glass of wine in a cafe. Experiencing the Eiffel Tower as you come up out of the Trocadero metro. Strolling the Champs E from the Arc de T to the Louvre, then over the river to Notre Dame, and into the Left bank for another glass of wine and maybe a late supper.

Posted by
264 posts

Warning - If you go into Paris, you may not want to leave!

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Larson!
You make a good point but...it would be worth it to me just to see the inside of the d'Orsay and a view a Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, van Gogh, Cezanne and/or Gauguin. Kris will have to decide but, I'd spend an hour or two strategically planning in advance to see the works of the artists that interest me the most:)