Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

Would love some input on our anticipated travel route. Plane tickets and Eurail passes have already been purchased, but the rest is up in the air. Travel dates are April 4-17. Flying into and out of London.
We'd like to focus on the cities of Bruges, Amsterdam, through Germany stopping in Rothenburg, Lake Como, through Switzerland, Paris, and a little time in London at end of trip. We realize this is a lot of territory to cover in a short amount of time and we will only hit a few of the highlights of each location This won't be our last trip just one to whet the palate...
Does this sound insane? Thanks in advance for your input!

Posted by
15109 posts

I've spent a few years in the tour business and we would never attempt anything like that in such a short amount of time. And belive me, most "highlight" tours are rushed.

You realize, you only have 11 days of actual sightseing time. If you leave on the 4th, you arrive on the 5th. Probably a little jet lagged. You leave on the 17th. Have you looked at train times between cities? I suggest you seriously look at how hard it would be to get to many of these points in the short amount of time you have.

My first suggestion would be to drop Lake Como. It is so far out of your way, it will take two days just to get there and back. Save it for when you do more of Italy.

I would do the same for Switzerland. Spend an extra day in the Rhine Valley in between Amsterdam and Rothenburg, then head for Paris.

And you'll be there for the Easter holidays. Some things may be closed.

As you said, this won't be your last trip. Don't try to see everything at once. You'll be completely exhausted.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the input, the more I've looked at it, the more I've thought that so I appreciate your re-iterating that fact.

Now, Frank another question for you (I do have the Eurail map) would you suggest going back to Frankfurt to head to Paris or what? How far down the Romantic Road area would not be considered too far out of the way with Paris being the next "big" city destination point?
Tamara

Posted by
15109 posts

You need to get an idea of what these train journeys are like.

Go to the German Rail/Deutsche Bahn website and plug in your journeys to get an idea of how long the journeys will take and how many changes.

You can then decide which routes you want to take.