Please sign in to post.

River cruises

I am thinking of a river cruise of some sort thru (central) Europe. I am 60; my husband will probably not travel. Can travel during shoulder season.

I am looking for suggestions of companies or itineraries.

Thanks!

Posted by
9363 posts

Both Viking and Uniworld have nice assortments of river cruises in Europe. We have traveled with Uniworld in China and would recommend them highly.

Posted by
576 posts

My mother and late stepfather had some of the best times of their lives on Grand Circle river cruises. They became very close to the other passengers and loved every minute of their 2 or 3 cruises. They both thought it was an excellent value for the money.

Posted by
262 posts

Emily,
I have taken a couple river cruises. I could suggest Uniworld. We did Amsterdam to Basel and then one that did mostly Germany, which was also fun. The food has a definite European flair. The beauty of these cruises is that they take you right into the city center. I did find that there were large groups of friends or family traveling together. I would suggest not doing this type of cruise alone.
Take a friend along or sister, if you husband will not go with you.

Happy Travels,
Debi

Posted by
809 posts

Emily, I will second the recommendation for Grand Circle Travel (gct.com). My mom, teenaged daughter, and I did their Vienna to Amsterdam cruise in summer 2007, and Mom and I did Budapest to the Black Sea this past fall; they also run several other trips along parts of the Danube and elsewhere in Europe. Comfortable rooms, good food, excellent program directors, and good tours [both included and optional tours]. I would also agree that finding someone to travel with may make your trip more enjoyable, unless you are very independent. On the two trips I have taken almost everyone has been with a friend or relative/spouse.
On our 2007 trip we spent all 16 days on the ship; in 2008 we did the pre-trip extension in Prague, then bused to a hotel in Budapest, then a week on the ship, then 2 more nights in a hotel in Bucharest. I notice that this year they have dropped the hotel in Budapest and just move you right onto the ship; that would be much better as we got rather tired of packing and unpacking! So before your sign up for a cruise, check to see how many times you have to move.
And have a wonderful time!

Posted by
416 posts

I also recommend Grand Circle. My folks love their cruises and have been on about 5 or 6 of them.