Please sign in to post.

Things to do in Venice

What are some other ideas for things to do in Venice, other than the usual, such as San Marco, the Doge Palace, Accademia, gondola ride, Rialto Bridge. also, if you have been to Murano or nearby cities such as Verona, what did you particulary enjoy: sightseeing and restaurants?

Posted by
12172 posts

My two favorite things in Venice were visiting the Duomo while it was lit inside (during Mass and some other times) and wandering during the evening.

The lit Duomo is one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen. It looks like the entire church is made of gold. Definitely schedule your visit when the lights are on.

We loved wandering along the canals and deserted streets after dinner in Venice. The quiet lapping of the water against the buildings was a huge contrast to the hustle and bustle during the day when the city is crowded.

Our best meal in Venice was at a little restaurant run by an Asian family. We found it by wandering and going where the locals seemed to congregate. It was a great meal at a very affordable price. I'm not sure I could find it again if I had to.

Posted by
11507 posts

I took my daughter to a Costume Musuem, you take the water bus and get off at San Stae, its about a block in from there,, ( sorry forget address). We then wandered that area, found a sweet little cafe in a town square, and generally enjoyed that area, it was so quiet and unpacked,, much nicer then the area around San Marcos( which I actually do not like) .

Posted by
864 posts

We took the water taxi to Murano which was in itself a delightful excursion. Somehow I'd always thought of Venice as basically the Grand Canal with alot of side channels but it is so much more. Murano was fun to wander around and we had a truly wonderful meal there (watch where the locals are going). Don't miss the Pala d'Oro in the Basilica San Marco (located behind the main altar). Yes, it's a separate entrance fee but in the overall picture it's spare change. Magnificent gold and enamel alterpiece. I think it'd be a shame to be in Venice and not see it. They just don't make them like that anymore...

Posted by
7209 posts

Be sure to visit the St Elena area of Venice...down at the tip of the island. It's such a peaceful, residential area with gardens and children playing the park. It's really a breath of fresh air from the hustle and bustle of St Marks.

Posted by
525 posts

Not including those things you mentioned, I esp enjoyed:

1 is strolling aimlessly thru Venice. Take it slow and easy.

2 Cicchetterie hopping. Finding these tiny bars with finger food and trying strange new foods with wine.

3 In Doge's Palace, pay special attention to Tintoretto's "Trimuph of Venice". The largest oil painting in the world if I recall correctly. He painted himself and his deceased son in it.

4 Scuola Grande di San Rocco - really moved me. 50 beautiful Tintoretoos paintings of biblical scenes. Beautiful and graphic.

5 now I did not do this however, last night on the travel channel I saw there was an island called something like Burano (not Murano). On this island is a very revered restaurant that serves Risotto at its best. Would you take a 45 minute boat ride for Risotto? maybe not. Would I? Absolutely!! If I go back, I am finding that place.

Despite warnings, I still ventured into Harry's Bar. I should have paid attention - it was not worth the enormous bill for 2 mediocre drinks.

Posted by
3313 posts

I second looking for cichetti. That's not something you can do in the other major destinations in Italy.

Posted by
2030 posts

I love the island of Torcello. The interior of the old church there. And climb the bell tower for a lovely view.
Murano and Burano are great also. Attending a classical music concert is fun to do. There are usually many advertisements for these around town. Just strolling around the back alleys (and canals) and getting lost in the city is fantastic.

Posted by
319 posts

I liked Burano (the lace Island). We went on a hot summer day. It was basically a half of a day on the boats and Islands. It was a cool break from the city. You can also take the boats to the Lido and go to the beach. The Peggy Guggenheim is a good modern art museum. Tours are lead by art students from the area college and there are often interesting travelins exibits.

Posted by
934 posts

One of the things we enjoyed was Rick Steves suggested Pub Crawl.He spells it out and we followed it.After eating great food at many places we were in the heart of Venice without a tourist in sight.Great evening.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Mary. I was in Venice, in the year 2004. What I liked the most in Venice was talking with Italian people (in the English language) who are residents in Venice. Many of the Italian people in Venice feel bored there, especially the Italian people age 20s. They say : everything in Venice is for foriegn tourists. In my experience there, Italian people who are residents in Venice like getting some attention from American tourists there. - conversation. And, some Italian people in Venice can recommend and direct you to the best eateries that you can afford to be a customer in.

Posted by
632 posts

I can't remember the restaurant but I had one of my best meals on Burano....great for picture taking (rows of multi-colored houses lining the small canals)...then go to Torcello for a real history lesson...this is the original "Venice"...the first island in the Venitian archipelago which was inhabited by those seeking to escape from the "barbarians of the north".

Posted by
110 posts

I second the "wandering aimlessly" idea. Venice is an island after all...so you cant really get lost.

And many of those little back alleys are WAY more interesting than yet another medieval/renaisannce madonna taperstry/painting/fresco.

Sitting on the vaporetto and watching Venice go by also gets my vote.