Please sign in to post.

GPS for Italy?

Has anyone recently been to Italy with a GPS? And, if so, did you find it helpful? What brand and model was it? I'm exploring buying one for our trip in May and am confused as to which would be the best.
Thanks for your help!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you! There are several models of the TomTom and I would like to purchase one that will be good for the US and Europe.
Again...Thanks you for your response.

Posted by
319 posts

We have a TomTom. I don't remember the model. If this is your first time to Italy I would recomend a GPS. It can be mind-boggeling to follow rural road signs. TomTom maps for Italy are really up to date, more so that other European countries we've taken it to.

Posted by
10344 posts

My experience has been the same as Michelle's. Travelers who have used GPS in Italy, and post on this board, have been positive, actually enthusiastic, about how much GPS helped them finding their way driving rental cars in Italy. The rate of positive recommendations of GPS has been about 100 to 1 or 2 (the 1 or 2 said it was useful but wasn't worth the cost). Many travelers who have not previously used GPS in Italy, and then try it, have reported enthusiastically about how it saved them time and the reduced the stress of getting lost, etc.The lowest price GPS units sold in the US don't come with a Europe map and these maps are generally expensive to download to your unit subsequent to your purchase. I use a Tom Tom, which is not the brand most commonly sold in the US but has the advantage (the models I've seen) of coming with a Europe map pre-loaded. Some models of other brands also come with a Europe map preloaded, so you're not limited to Tom Tom.

Posted by
32224 posts

paula,

I've used a GPS in several countries in Europe, both for driving on a few occasions and also for finding my way around cities. The model I use is a Garmin Nuvi 370 which is equipped with European as well as North American Maps. The 2009 Euro Map update is available now, so I'll have to download when I get a few minutes.

The GPS has worked reasonably well so far, but I've found they're not infallible. Occasionally it seems to choose a goofy route that defies all logic, so I always have a good Map for "backup" (Michelin Maps). I'm still trying to determine if the routing is chosen based on the setup parameters (eg: fastest route or whatever). However, it has also been incredibly helpful on occasion and got me where I was going. After taking a wrong turn, it's somewhat comforting to hear the words "recalculating".

The Garmin was supplied with a Car Charger and Windshield Bracket (be sure not to forget either in the rental car!). The 370 is a fairly small unit (which was a desirable feature, in order to be able to easily carry it when walking), so the volume is a bit low when driving (however an earphone can be used). I find when using it in "pedestrian" mode that the battery life could be better, but overall it's an awesome travel device and I always pack it along now.

One other point about GPS units is that they often mispronounce names, especially local names in another language. It's not usually too difficult to figure out what they're referring to though. One example, if the unit was directing the driver to "turn left on Smith Dr.", instead the unit states "turn left on Smith Doctor". The programmer was obviously "off their medication" when they set that up! I should notify Garmin about that, but haven't had time.

You might do a bit of comparison shopping at local shops, to actually see the devices and speak with sales people.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
23343 posts

When we were flying back from Spain last week there was an ad in a magazine for a very specialized GPS device primarily for hikers. It was only $80 and not map driven. You recorded your starting point (and you could have three) and it would always direct you back to your starting point. Didn't have verbal directions but an arrow that always pointed you back to your chosen starting point.

Posted by
9363 posts

Any handheld GPS can do that, Frank. In fact, every handheld GPS I know of lets you have up to five hundred "waypoints" to which you can navigate back. I use a handheld for geocaching, a sport/hobby/game that I am passionate about, and my GPS handheld holds 1000 waypoints and also has a map function. An automobile GPS would still be a better device for things like routing (though my Garmin can do that, too). I love my Garmin handheld, but my car GPS is a TomTom.

Posted by
10344 posts

Paula: I didn't mean to give the impression that the Tom Tom is the only brand that comes pre-loaded with a Europe map. People here have also had good experience with the Garmin Nuvi 370 mentioned by Ken. The product description on the box or in the online description will tell you if a particular model is pre-loaded with Europe map.Google the Tom Tom, Garmin, and Magellan websites and review their products there, looking for ones that say Europe map included or preloaded. And you can find more reviews on this board by searching on GPS in search box upper right.

Posted by
850 posts

Paula,
The TomTom models preloaded with Europe maps are the 910, 920 and 930 models. The 910 is no longer in production but you can still purchase used ones if you google for them. I would be inclined to get a newer model but you could probably get a good price on the 910 or 920. The 930 has come down also and will drop even more now that TomTom has introduced the 940 model. The 940 was released in Europe in '08 but I don't know if it has been released in the U.S. yet. From what I have read about the 940 it of course would have a more up to date map as well as improved features.
I drove throughout Norhtern Italy and into Tuscany using the 910 and it was well worth the investment. I would still take a map if I were you. The Garmin models that end with the last two numbers of 70 also are preloaded with Europe maps and have gotten good reviews from those here who have used them.

Posted by
517 posts

Oh my gosh! I bought a TomTom for my wife for Christmas. Now I don't know how we lived for so long without one. On the one hand, living without forced us to learn the layout of Vienna better than we otherwise would have. However, the TomTom just takes the stress out of navigating irregularly planned streets. We definitely give TomTom a "thumbs up!"

Posted by
416 posts

Paula,

I traveled in Italy last March with a TomTom One 3rd Edition that I bought the European maps for. It was a Godsend. Not only did it tell me how to get places, but if an address I put in was in a restricted zone, it let me know so that I could choose to park nearby and walk to avoid getting a ticket. It also warned me when I was approaching speed cameras so that I could slow down if necessary. So far, no tickets have arrived in the mail after the fact and I drove in Florence (crazy, I know), Verona, Brescia and Padova.

Posted by
671 posts

We used the Garmin Nuvi 270- when it worked, it worked well. We had problems in the snow, in the mountains (mainly when it was snowing), sometimes indoors, and usually for 5-15 minutes when we turned it on everytime (assuming we were in the car.) Also, it wasn't that great for pedestrian use.

Posted by
934 posts

I have a older model Garmin that I updated to European maps.I used it in Italy a year ago and it worked wonderfully.

Posted by
850 posts

Brad,
I had the same experience with my tomtom 910. Once uplugged from its power source it would only stay on for another hour or so.

Frank,

The gps you mentioned sounds like just what I need to help me find my car when I come out of the store after shopping :)

Posted by
10344 posts

To those asking about GPS devices with longer battery life and for walking: there's a variety of hand-held GPS units specifically designed for walkers and hikers, go to Garmin, Magellan and Tom Tom websites and select hand-held GPS. I have one, they're around $100 or less. I've not used my hand held in Europe, I'm guessing the hand helds sold here don't typically come with a Europe map pre-loaded. There are also a variety of GPS services available with cell phones, again the ones sold here probably don't have Europe maps.

Posted by
12172 posts

I have a TomTom 920 I'm really happy with. They just came out with the TomTom 930 so if you can find a 920 it will probably be a good deal. Both have Euro and American Maps.

The Garmins that end in 70 also have both sets of maps and I hear good things about it.

I probably wouldn't buy a product other than a Garmin or TomTom for your trip. They both seem to be road tested by people on this site with good results.

I drove without a GPS in Italy once. I'd never go again without one (well, I guess if it was a choice between no GPS or no trip). I also would buy a GPS in advance and take it with you, that way you will know the features and how to use them before you are on the road in Europe.

Posted by
12172 posts

In response to Cate's post. One feature with the TomTom 920/930 is dead reckoning which allows the unit to keep navigating even after it loses a sattelite signal. It's useful for tunnels, mountains or cities with high-rise buildings. How they pack so much into such a small device is beyond me.

My only complaint with the TomTom 920 is it's relatively short battery life when it's not plugged in. It has bicycle and walking modes but they only work for about an hour of navigation once it's unplugged from your car lighter.

Anybody have experience with this and how to get more life?

Posted by
875 posts

We bought a TomTom GO 920 before driving in France this year, and it was wonderful. I would never drive anywhere unfamiliar again without it.