Please sign in to post.

Old World Europe vacation...I need help!!!!

Hello All,
I'm a travel virgin having never been out of the continental U.S. except for an all-inclusive trip to Jamaica which doesn't really count. I'm looking to take my fiancée to Europe after we're married. I'd like to experience "Old World" Europe. You know, the stereotypical towns with cobblestone streets and thatched roofs, etc. My only caveat is I'd also like to visit such a town where there are things to do and see (and if not directly in the town/village we stay, at least within taxi distance). My first thought was Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Any suggestions? All input is greatly appreciated. Please help, I don't even know where to start...
Best,
Carson

Posted by
4 posts

Frank, Thanks for pointing out the double post. It was intentional. After posting on the "To the West" board, it occurred to me that there may be travelers out there that only pop in to read the General Europe board. I do not want to miss out on the valuable input of experienced travelers simply because they didn't see my question. Thanks for the heads up.
- Carson

Posted by
15087 posts

Most people on the board look at all the sections. No need to double post.

Posted by
110 posts

Carson There are two schools thought here. One is you pick a couple of "base" cities and daytrip from them. There are threads here on that approach.

The other is a "whistlestop" tour of Europe. I helped plan such a trip for some friends of mine recently and sounds like they had a ball.

A whistlestop tour looks something like this--remember--you will be back. All you're doing is getting a flavour...

Fly into London

Eurostar to Paris

Night train to say, Venice

Florence

Rome

Fly home from Rome

this is easily doable in 10-14 days. You're young!

Posted by
1358 posts

It is growing harder to see the OLD WORLD sights you list in Europe. Many buildings have been modernized.

I suggest you visit Czech Rep, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary to see those older buildings. The architecture on the mountain sides in the Alps impresses me.

You will find Cobblestone streets in almost every town. I have seen thatched roofs only in the UK, but there may be some in remote areas on the continent.

Posted by
22 posts

In the heart of Europe you will find three countries that steeped in historical wonder and scenic beauty. Germany, Austria, and Switzerland share lake Constance where the flags of each nation flutter on passenger ferries crossing from shore to shore as well as the world famous Alps which offer some of the most breathtaking and unspoiled beauty anywhere in the world.

www.luxurylink.com/destinations/europe/germany-austria-and-switzerland is where I got all of my information from, check the website I think it would be alot of help.:)

Posted by
1167 posts

There is a third school of thought which is Big City vs Countryside. IMO you will get a much better feel of "Old World" Europe by travelling more slowly through the countryside on regional trains than by taking highspeed and/or night trains from big city to big city. I don't know how much time you have but a trip that starts in Zurich and ends in Vienna with stops in small towns in between would be my choice.

Posted by
168 posts

Why not do Germany, Austria, & Switzerland? I did all 3 countries in 12 days and it was wonderful. You can definetly find the cobblestone streets and thatched roofs there. I think those 3 places would be wonderful. How long do you have? Let me know if you want specifics on any places there.

P.S. I highly recommend you buy a Rick Steves book when you make your decision on where you go. My husband and I didn't do it the first year we went to Europe...but every year after we have and it is so nice. He has a walking tour in almost every city/town which is a great/easy way to navigate the city...plus he points out places you'd never notice if you were walking without it.

I've been to europe many times (and am going again in May to Italy) so I would be more than happy to help you out.

Good luck in your planning! Europe is wonderfuL!