Please sign in to post.

Best way from Norway to Scotland?

Hi! My husband and I are going to Europe for the first time in April. We are going for a month, flying into Rome and then making our way up via Eurorail to Norway. Then over to Scotland and Ireland, flying back home from Dubling. What's the best way to get from Norway to Scotland? By train it seems its almost a full days worth of travel. I've checked on ryanair but its very expensive. Or should we change our itineary?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
5678 posts

Check out the ferries. http://www.directferries.co.uk/routes.htm It looks like you can get to Newcastle. It's an easy train ride up the coast to Edinburgh from Newcastle. But you should research further as this site was a bit confusing and I am not sure if the route maps are all scheduled. I have had friends take the ferry from Amsterdam and then catch the train to Inverness. They have to change trains in Edinburgh to make that trip. Pam

Posted by
15047 posts

From where do you want to leave in Norway and to where do you want to go in Scotland?

Norwegian Airlines flies between Oslo and Edinbrugh non-stop and has fares starting at around $100 each. The flights about 2 hours.

Posted by
34 posts

Yes we are leaving from Oslo and into Edinburgh. I'll check the airline you suggested - thanks!