Please sign in to post.

Switzerland: Welcome to Schengen!

About 6 hours ago, midnight Central European time on Friday, Dec 12th, 2008 Switzerland officially joined the Schengen zone, the borders were opened. From now on there're no more border controls between Italy, France, Germany, Austria on the one and Switzerland on the other side. The white spot on the Schengen-European map has disappeared. However, Switzerland still is not part of the EU which affects im- and export of large quantities of goods and services for resale. Again, welcome Switzerland - at last!

Posted by
14994 posts

The Swiss will still check air passengers coming from Schengen countries until March 29.

But, tiny Liechtenstein, will not join Schengen until late 2009 so you will have to go through border checks if you visit that country. Very strange since the Liechtenstein border guards were actually Swiss.

Of course, since Liechtenstein has no airport, the only way to enter it now without going through a Schengen country would be to parachute in.

Posted by
2779 posts

Other than laundering money why would you want to visit Liechtenstein? There's nothing really there else but banks that help you hide millions of tax money from your local authorities... ;-)

Posted by
8942 posts

Ha, I know Americans who have driven hours out of their way, just to get a Liechtenstein stamp in their passports. Why, why why???

The only reason I would want to go there was because one of my favorite books is "The mouse that roared" and I think it is kind of loosely based on Liechtenstein.

Posted by
9100 posts

Why visit Lichtenstein??? Some would also say why visit Frankfurt:) Sometimes travel is about doing silly, frivolous things like visiting wax museums, going to amusement parks, Zoos, or one of the worlds smallest countries. One goes because it's there! Travel to Europe is more than just cathedrals and art museums.

Posted by
1158 posts

Joining Schengen zone is a very good thing. It will be easier to travel to some European countries now.

Posted by
14994 posts

I've been to Liechtenstein and I'm going to Luxembourg on my next trip...why...because most people don't.

Why would you go to Frankfurt unless you are on business. For the history? No. For the art? No. For the great natural beauty? No. For business. It's a great financial city.

But people go because it's there. Just as people go everywhere in Europe--because it's there.

And I find it fascinating in this day and age, where most of Europe is trying to become one, there are still six small countries that retain their uniqueness yet still be part of the big picture.

Posted by
12040 posts

"why would you want to visit Liechtenstein?"

Because several multi-national corporations have their headquarters based there, and many conferences are held in the country. Remember, not all travel is strictly for sight-seeing.

Posted by
850 posts

We enjoyed our few hours in Vaduz. A nice casual hike above the town to the Castle and back. Visiting the shops and walking the town and realizing this is a small and unique country. And we did go to the Tourist center to get our passports stamped. It was only a few miles out of our way on the way to our next destination so we said why not? Glad we did.

Posted by
8942 posts

umm, I guess I did not make my post very clear. I meant people who went there, hours out of their way, went across the border, got their passports stamped, turned around and drove away. They did not see the country. They only went to get their passports stamped. This seems odd to me.Its like my kids asking me if they can say they have been to Texas and Colorado, cause we had layovers in the airport. Well, yeah, but not really.

Truly, I am about the last person to say a country or city is boring or has nothing to offer, though I hear that VERY often on this forum about Cologne, Brussels, Milan, Antwerp, Dusseldorf, and yes, Frankfurt, though all of these cities offer a wide variety of historical sites and artwork. Just because someone does not know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist. I almost snorted my coffee out in laughter today when I read that there was nothing of historical value in Frankfurt, nor any artwork. Ya'll need to read some history and come and visit some of our art galleries and the myriad historical sites in Frankfurt.

ok, I am off my soapbox now.

Posted by
2779 posts

BTW: This thread is NOT about Liechtenstein. It's merely about Switzerland finally opening up and realizing they're part of Europe...