Please sign in to post.

barcelona or madrid

me and my brother can't decide on where to stay longer, barcelona or madrid. We will have to go to barcelona since we are departing from there but where did all you guys enjoy better? I would love the input

Posted by
100 posts

It depends on what you and your brother like. I have been to Barcelona and the coast and really loved it. If you are beach people I would recommend spending a few extra days in Barcelona and head to the coast. There are many towns accessible by car. If no car I would head south to Sitges. We stayed there in a villa for a week. It was beautiful and only 40 minutes by train to Barcelona. Have a great time. Cheers, KIm

Posted by
194 posts

I spent about four days in each city and I prefered Barcelona over Madrid. Both cities have a lot to see, but I enjoyed the more laid back atmosphere, sights and feel of Barcelona. I was also 20 at the time. That might have had something to do with it. I definitely want to get back to Barcelona some day. If I never made it back to Madrid, I think I'd be OK, but I'm happy I saw it.

Posted by
269 posts

I feel the same way. Madrid was great, but the atmostphere in Barcelona was -- to me, at least -- unbeatable. We were debating which city would get the extra day and ended up staying longer in Madrid, which was nice, but in hindsight I would have definitely chosen Barcelona.

Posted by
118 posts

My wife and I just spent 5 days in Madrid and a week in Barcelona. Both are great places but Barcelona really grabs you. There seems to be so much to experience that our time was far too short in Barcelona. We liked Madrid but would return to Barcelona.

Posted by
110 posts

See..I'm the exact opposite of Charles here. I liked Barcelona...but its very much a "European" city. Madrid on the other hand is soooo very much Spain.

If you're in your 20's you'd probably prefer Barcelona

Posted by
19 posts

My husband and I love Barcelona and especially Las Ramblas (be careful of pick pockets). They have a great hop on, hop off bus. Madrid is interesting, but has a big city atmosphere.

Posted by
582 posts

Rick Steves has a brand new show in Barcelona. I have his new 12 shows on DVD, and just watched his Barcelona show last night. I was thinking of going to Paris next year but now I have second thoughts and may go to Barcelona instead, it looks so beautiful. Too bad I can't afford to go both places! But this city by the Mediterranean sea looks glorious!

Posted by
990 posts

If you love art, Madrid boasts the Prado and the Thyssen art museums. If you love architecture, you can't beat the Gaudi works in Barcelona.

Posted by
524 posts

This information is based on travel from many years ago, but:

Barcelona, hands down. Partly because of what else it's near.

Posted by
586 posts

My wife and I will be in Spain this New Year's, and had the exact same decision to make. In the end, we chose 3 nights in Barcelona and 4 nights in Madrid, and not just because Steves recommends more time in Madrid as the more 'Spanish' city. For us, Madrid's proximity as a hub for day trips was the deciding factor. We can see El Escoreal and the Valley of the Fallen, Toledo, and if we leave at the crack of dawn and return at night, even Seville, which is now just 2.5 hours via high-speed AVE train. Thus, for us, more time in Madrid meant more access to the heart of Espana. Just something to consider.

Posted by
582 posts

Gio, I may want to do this myself next year, both Barcelona and Madrid. Your trip sounds great! I would really love to hear about your trip when you return.
Have a great time!

Posted by
586 posts

Sure thing. Will report back in January. In the meantime, Feliz Navidad y Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Posted by
2 posts

Madrid allows you to see andulasia which is awesome and barcelona allows you to see south of France which is great too!