Please sign in to post.

Camera Lenses

Hello, everyone! :) I'll be studying abroad in Pau, France next fall semester for 3 1/2 months, and I'm on the market for a good DSLR. I think I've settled on the Canon Rebel XSi, and will most likely be purchasing it for myself for Christmas so I have some time to practice shooting with it before I go.

My question is, which lenses have you found the most beneficial when traveling through Europe? Because I want to pack light I really want to only take one lens, and the 18-55mm default lens doesn't seem like it will cut it.

Do any of you have any suggestions for me? I've searched the board and couldn't find any specific info on this subject as of yet.

Thanks!

Posted by
180 posts

A good lens is far more important then a good camera body, so if you haven't purchased a new camera yet make sure you budget for a "good glass". It is not unusual to spend more on a good lens then you do on the camera body.

The "kit" lens that comes with most cameras is decent, but always has drawbacks when it comes to range, build quality, glass quality, etc. They are included with the camera often because they are low cost. That doesn't mean they will take poor pictures, it means that they are not as sharp have as good of a zoom range, are as feature rich (things like vibration control)or can handle low apertures.

My personal favorite travel lens is an 18-200mm. I use a Nikon (D300), but I believe there are versions made for Canon now. The zoom range is ideal as an "all in one" lens. It isn't perfect compared so some lenses, but it does everything well. If I only take one lens, that's the lens.

Strongly consider purchasing a used DSLR. There are a considerable amount of used cameras and lenses on the market right now due to new product launches from Canon and Nikon and people upgrading. (Plug for Nikon - I switched from Canon and love it)

Hope that helps.

Pete

Posted by
68 posts

I've been wondering the same thing. I have the Canon Rebel XTi and I have the kit lens and a 75-300 telephoto zoom lens. This one is quite large, but I really enjoy taking close up shots, plus people and animals in natural setting, which is easy to do without getting too close. Wondering if I should bring this or not, so heavy and a pain in the but to change at a moments notice, plus chance of it getting stolen. I would agree that am 18-200 is probably a good way to go. Is this a fairly large/heavy lens?

Posted by
671 posts

I have a Nikon DSLR. I was torn between the Nikon and the Canon and my research showed the Nikon had the better kit lense. If you are wanting to purchase an additional lense, though, you might be ok with the Canon.

I think an 18-200 would be a good lense. However, the last time I was in Europe (eons ago-LOL), I took most pictures with a single wide angle lense... I guess the questions are what is your budget and what kinds-of pictures do you take most often? For example, people taking wildlife pictures, need good zoom lenses and people (like me) who love taking pictures of buildings, churches, etc can go pretty far with a wide angle.

Posted by
180 posts

The Nikon 18-200 is not what I would classify as a large lens but it is on the heavier side. It has built in vibration reduction plus a super-fast auto focusing. It also is made better then lower cost lenses (it has that solid feel). It's about 20 oz or 1/2 kg and about 4 inches long.

Pete

Posted by
368 posts

We dragged a Nikon D80 across Europe with a Tamron 24-135mm F3.5-5.6 and it was great. There were a few moments where the lens wasn't wide or long enough but for 99% of the shots it worked well. Considering that Tamron is lower cost then the Nikon lenses, I didn't feel as nervous about wrecking it somehow. We also had a small Nikkor 24mm f2.8 as well which is a really fun lens. We didn't use it much but I got some great photos of flowers by the ferry terminal in St. Goar Germany with it.

Of course, buy a good bag that will suit your needs and bring a lot of RAM if you are not bringing a notebook to transfer pictures to. RAM is so cheap now, that it is not worth not having enough of it. Make sure you get name brand RAM though as I have had trouble with off brand before in my cameras. I also recommend shooting in RAW format as you can do a lot more with the photos later on but it takes up more space on the cards, so it really is a balance.

The lens that comes with the camera that you specified is pretty run of the mill and I am sure you would get good photos with it, but you would not be able to do as much as you would with a little bit longer zoom lens. Make sure you buy a clear/UV lens filter to protect the glass on the lens (the might cost a little but it is better to wreck a filter then the lens itself).

Finally, the one thing I felt after traveling with a DSLR was that although we were still packing light, I really got tired of walking around all day, every day with it. I would also bring the smallest point and shoot you can find for those excursions where you don't want to lug your gear.

Good luck!

Posted by
32212 posts

Caroline,

I've been travelling with a Canon dSLR for several years now, so have a few ideas on what works for me. I started with the Rebel XT and upgraded to the 40D earlier this year. Which Lens to use will depend somewhat on what your intended use is? A few thoughts.....

The Rebel XSi is a good choice, but like any Camera, it has quirks. I always try to look at a variety of sources when evaluating new gear, but you may enjoy reading the XSi Review at DP Review. It received the coveted "Highly Recommended" rating. I'd also suggest reading the Forums for the XSi, as that's a good indication of user "real world" experiences.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a dSLR is that you're buying a system rather than just a Camera (which includes not only Lenses but also Batteries and other accessories from the manufacturer as well as others). Lenses are perhaps the most critical component of that system, and Canon has an excellent range to choose from.

You will probably find that you'll need a minimum of two Lenses. I usually travel with a wide angle, "walkabout" and zoom Lenses. The WA and "walkabout" get the most use BY FAR. One of the biggest advantages of an SLR is the ability to change Lenses, so if you would prefer not to do that then perhaps a "Superzoom" would be another option? While changing Lenses is a minor annoyance at times, it's sometimes necessary. The only alternative is to carry two Bodies, which is a greater annoyance IMO. If you want to check some "real world" opinions on Lenses, check the reviews at This Site.

You'll need to budget for at least one extra Battery, a robust Case and maybe a Filter or two (some believe in using UV Filters to protect the front element on the Lens).

There will be a learning curve with a dSLR, but I think you'll find that it's the best way to get great travel shots.

Posted by
32212 posts

Caroline,

A few other points...

If you decide on the XSi, I wouldn't bother with the "kit Lens" or the 75-300 Zoom which is often "bundled" with the Camera. Find the Lens that will best fit your trip to France, and ask the Camera store if they can supply that in a "bundle" configuration. With the economy in it's present state, they may be more inclined to accommodate special requests.

You might also check the XSi review at This Site

One important note on Lenses - try to find models that focus internally, rather than rotating the front element. The internal focus models are easier to use with Circular Polarizing Filters as the Filter doesn't rotate when the Lens is focussed. Don't be shocked at the price of Lenses, as some are VERY expensive (especially the Canon "L" series). Lenses are best considered a "long term investment" as these often outlast the Cameras! If you're planning for photography in low light, buying "faster" Lenses is a good idea ("fast" Lenses are those with a larger Aperture capability, with the Aperture being larger with smaller number values - an f1.8 Lens is "faster" than an f4.5 Lens). Hope that makes sense? The "faster" Lenses are usually more expensive.

I tend to prefer Canon Lenses to other manufacturers. If you're considering a wide angle Lens, the Canon EF-S 10-22 generally gets favourable reviews.

One other important point is that Canon offers both EF-S Lenses which are designed for the "crop" Cameras such as the XSi, and also EF Lenses which are primarily for full frame Cameras such as the 5D and newer 5D II. The EF Lenses can still be used on the XSi, however the focal length will be "magnified" by a factor of 1.6. In other words, if you use a 50 mm Lens on a "crop" Camera, this will behave as if if were an 80 mm Lens. Hope that makes sense too?

Good luck!

Posted by
705 posts

I purchased the XSi recently and also wanted to travel with only one lens. I got the Sigma 18-125mm which also has optical stabilization. It may not be the perfect lens for you, but I find it very satisfactory. Both were purchased at Amazon.

Posted by
850 posts

I have a Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kits lens and also have a 55-200 and a 70-300. Now getting a Nikon D90 and would like to get the 18-200 lens to go with it. That lens should cover the range I would need. I found that I used the wide angle the most and especially in the cities. Tamron has come out with an 18-270. A review of that lens can be found here:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/

The D40 is a very nice little camera (little for a DSLR) and takes great images even with the kit lens.
It can be purchased now for around $450.00 including the kit lens. I read somewhere that Rick Steves uses this camera.

Like someone mentioned Canon also has an 18-200 lens so if you get the Canon XSi the 18-200 is an ideal walk around one lens and you would not have the inconvenience of changing out lens for longer shots.

A good site to do some research is dpreview.com

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far! I've gotten a lot of great tips!

Unfortunately, I'm extremely torn between a wide angle (to get those great shots of buildings) and a longer zoom lens. I'll be shooting in a lot of low-light areas such as churches and cathedrals, so I'd also want to invest in a "faster" lens, as Ken said, to eliminate a lot of the noise in my shots.

That being said, I am a college student who is trying to save up for not only studying abroad but a Western Europe backpacking trip after graduation, so I'm on a rather tight budget.

I have a lot of research to do, but since I'm not leaving until next September I have a lot of time on my side to find the perfect lens, if there is such a thing.

Thanks again for all of your advice! :)

ETA: I'm looking at the 18-200mm lens thanks to your recommendations, and wow! Wide-angle, zoom, and IS? This may be the one!

Posted by
32212 posts

Caroline, a few additional comments....

The Canon EF-S 18-200 is certainly one option. One advantage is that this is designed for the "crop" Cameras, so the focal lengths will be accurate. However, this is not an exceptionally "fast" Lens, with f3.5 at one end and f5.6 at the other. You might want to read the review at This site to determine whether it will fit your needs. It was "Recommended but with reservations".

If you're considering Lenses from other manufacturers, one thing to keep in mind is that these have to be designed for a variety of crop Cameras. These Lenses are typically fitted with mounts for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus or other Cameras, all of which have different crop factors. Therefore an 18-200 Lens of this type would in actuality be 28.8-320 on a Canon "crop" Camera (not exactly "wide angle").

There's no easy answer in finding a Lens with the perfect combination of good wide angle range, good zoom range, good (fast) optics and a reasonable price. Some of the Canon "L" models would be a good start, but they tend to be VERY expensive. The most practical solution is to find two reasonably good Lenses that will provide the needed range. The Canon EF-S 10-22 gets consistently good ratings for a wide angle, but it's somewhat pricey. The Canon EF 24-105L is a good "walkabout" Lens and offers f4 over the entire range, but it's REALLY PRICEY.

I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but I'll check a few possibilities to see if I can offer a reasonable compromise.

Cheers!

Posted by
51 posts

Hello Caroline,

Canon 40D here :)

For my upcoming trip (first time to Britain) I plan to bring my 17-55mm IS USM f/2.8 (walk around lens) and my 10-22mm USM f/3.5 - 4.5 (wide angle lens) <--- Bath's Royal Crescent here I come! ;)

I sold the 17-85mm lens and invested in the 17-55mm because its a faster lens.

Just a couple samples taken with my 17-55mm:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2535115169_e37bdeeeaf_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2537561473_a731e215e6_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/2539544856_2dfa7f01d8_b.jpg

Bag wise I invested in the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home bag (the 10-22mm and the 17-55mm attatched to the body fit snug in the bag) but the bag also doesn't scream, 'I'm a camera bag!'. But when I'm walking around the city, I plan to remove one of the lenses and put it in my day bag and stick my point and shoot in with the DSLR (easy access for any videos i may want to take).

Posted by
12172 posts

If you only want to bring one lens a macro-zoom is probably the best option.

Alternatively a good portrait lens can work well for all around photos.

Personally, I stopped carrying a big camera after a trip through Asia. My friend carried a pocket sized all-in-one Canon. My pictures were really good but his pictures were about as good as mine. Since then I go with the smallest possible good quality camera.

Posted by
32212 posts

Caroline,

I had another look at your Post. Given the fact that you want to "pack light" and take only one Lens (which somewhat negates the benefits of using a dSLR), the only choice I could find seems to be the Canon EF-S 18-200, f/3.5-5.6 Lens. It's not exceptionally "fast" but if you increase the ISO, that should be manageable. The Lens provides reasonably good range, but be sure to read the "Conclusions" section on the dpreview site, as there are some "issues", especially at the wide end.

If you were able to take two Lenses, I'd definitely recommend the Canon EF-S 10-22, f/3.5-4.5 Wide Angle Lens. as one of them. It has a 92% recommendation rating on Fred Miranda but is somewhat expensive. Which Lens to choose as a "walkabout" or general purpose Lens is a bit more difficult. It will depend on your budget to a large extent and of course the zoom and aperture range that you want. Both the EF 24-70, f/2.8 and the 24-105, f/4 usually get exceptional ratings, but since they're both "L" series Lenses they are very expensive.

Good luck with your selection!