Please sign in to post.

Winter Itinerary

OK, so we decided that we are going to go during this Christmas, but now we need to know wether or not we have planned enough/too many days at each location. Here is what we have planned....

Fly into London and stay for 3 days
Chunnel to Paris and stay for 3 days
Fly to Venice and stay for 3 days
Ravenna for 2 days
Florence for 2 days
Pisa for 2 days
Rome for 3 days

And then Sadly fly home!

Is this the right amount of time in each place or should we stay more or less. Please let us know!!

Thanks
Nikki

Posted by
524 posts

I agree with everyone. The gut reaction is to attack as much as you can for the time that you are there - but you will enjoy your trip and get more out of it if you lengthen your time in some of the cities. You will be rested and be able to really take time to see the city you are in. But a note on Pisa - I have never been there, but I have never heard anyone say it was a top site for them. I would take it off. I think you will be happy you gave that to other cities like Paris or Rome. Some other posters have suggested Venice is not a winter city since it is for strolling and being outside, but I would probably still go. I just mention it, because it is a good point. So IMO, London - 4, Paris - 4, Venice - 3, Florence - 3, Rome - 4.

Posted by
3428 posts

Why not save Italy for another trip? Do 1/2 your time (or more) in London and the rest in Paris. You cna then do some day trips out of those cities. London is PERFECT for this. And while I am not a fan of Paris, there are those who love it. The Christmas markets in London, Windsor, Bath, York, Cardiff, Swansea, etc. are well worth spending the whole trip in the UK in my own humble opinion. Italy is supposed to be absolutely wonderful, too. I haven't yet talked my hubby into going there. Wait and give it the time it deserves. Like Rick says... Assume you will get to go back to Europe.

Posted by
2775 posts

IMO it's to many cities. You should limit it to London, Paris, Rome and Venice. You need to consider the time of travel between each of these cities you plan to visit and the time spent traveling to each place, to the airport/train station. Traveling time will take up a lot of your day. Also, it is called Eurostar not chunnel. I think you might be trying to see to much in the time you have.

Posted by
780 posts

It will take you time (at least half a day for each location) to get to each place, so take that into account.

Posted by
780 posts

lol robin, we must have posted that at the same time, a minute apart! Yea, what she said :)

Posted by
21 posts

We were thinking about traveling at night as much as possible, but we have never been to Europe, so we don't know how do able this is. Not including the travel time, is this enough days in each location??

Posted by
49 posts

I agree with previous posters. You would be able to enjoy more if you cut down on the number of cities. Three days isn't enough for London. I just got back from London - I made a mistake and only gave it 2 days. Give London at least another day (consider the time to get over the jet lag and all the amazing museums - free of charge). I would give paris 4 days as well. 3 days for Venice is fine. You might want to consider combining the Florence and Pisa time. Pisa is worth 2 hours (to see the leaning tower) and that's about it - plus Pisa is an easy train ride from Florence. Rome also needs more than 3 days. Traveling at night, while it sounds perfect from a money standpoint can also be tiring. Go to Europe and enjoy yourself, but try not to overwhelm yourself. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
1449 posts

I would subtract a day from Venice (you can see most if not all of the tourist attractions in 2 days) and do Pisa as a 2-3 hour stop. That gives you 3 days to add back to other places. Given the time of year you're traveling the weather could have an effect and you won't be able to see as much on a given day as if you were there on a mild spring or summer day; so those extra days added back may be useful.

Part of what makes it difficult to say how many days to stay in a place is that people have different plans for how they want to spend their travel time. For some, ducking into the top museums so they can say "I saw X and Y" and seeing some of the famous buildings in a place is enough. Others want time to stroll and relax, time to savor an unexpected discovery, to allow serendipity to play a role. I'm biased towards the latter mode, but its not the only way or even always the right way. RS's signature tour might be his 21-day rumble across Europe, a sampling of the sights in many cities and areas. That's 2 nites at best in a place, often just one.

My gut feel is that many people as they start out traveling try to see a lot, but then as they accumulate trips tend to stay longer in fewer places.