Please sign in to post.

23 days Czech,Austria, Hungary, Holland, Belgium & France in October 2023

Hello

We (2 adults) plan to visit below countries in October 2023 for 23 days (including 2 days of flying from SFO to Prague and fly home from Paris to SFO).

Czech (fly from SFO to Prague for 4 nights)

Austria (a) train from Prague to Vienna for 3 nights, b) train from Vienna to Salzburg for 2 nights),

Hungary (train from Salzburg to Budapest for 2 nights)

Holland (fly from Budapest to Amsterdam for 3 nights)

Belgium (train from Amsterdam to Brussels for 5 ---> day trip to Ghent/Bruges and Luxembourg)

France (train from Brussels to Paris for 3 nights then fly home from Paris)

Is this too aggressive? If so, what do you recommend to opt out.

Thank you in advance for valuable feedback/comment,

KT

Posted by
656 posts

Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Budapest are frequently grouped together. You could easily do that group over your 3 weeks (that’s what we did a few years back). Some of the train rides are 4+ hours so with your number of days listed for each you won’t have as much time as could be utilized. There is a lot to see and do in each place as well.

Amsterdam, Belgium (2-3 towns), and Paris are another common grouping and one we did. Again there is lots to do in each place.

Changing cities and hotels every few days means a lot of sightseeing time is lost getting to and from train stations, checking out of hotels etc.

I would choose one grouping or the other (assuming you haven’t been to many of the places previously).

Posted by
1880 posts

Welcome to the forums!

Have you done an extended trip at this pace before? It’s a bit aggressive for me. For me the easy one to eliminate from this trip is Belgium. It’s not high on my priority list. I would add those nights to

• 1 for Vienna
  • 2 or 3 Budapest
  • 1 or 2 Paris

Have a fun trip.

Posted by
8309 posts

I would just suggest changing the order to:
Prague 4 days
Vienna 4 days
Budapest 4 days
Salzburg 2 days
Take 2 hr. train to Munich (since you're so close) 2 days. Fly from there to AMS.
Amsterdam 4 days
I'd go to Bruges for 2 days and skip Brussels all together.

Then take the train to Paris for the remainder of your time.

You're visiting some great and large cities, and they're all worthy of 4 full days (including Munich). I think there's a train that goes from Budapest to Salzburg--without having to go thru Vienna.

Posted by
4573 posts

I would skip Belgium and add 4 nights to France-maybe go to Colmar/Strasbourg. I have never been to Budapest, but suspect you need 3 nights there.

Posted by
1425 posts

Only you know if it's aggressive for you, we all travel in different ways & styles. You need to look at what it is you want to see and or do in each of these cities and if it can be accomplished in the timeframe you are giving yourself. Especially between checking in & out of hotels & transportation times cutting into your sightseeing.

I'm currently working with my brother and his family that want to see Lourdes, Paris, Normandy & Disneyland Paris between 10 - 14 days in 2024 and a month before the Olympics no less, and with 2 teenagers & a 6 year old in tow. We'll be sitting down and figuring out what is realistic for this trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
19654 posts

Two nights in Budapest isn't worth the effort. Translates into an evening and a day. Skip it and enjoy one of the other locations a little more.

David. Like your idea, but I would take advantage of the faster Prague to Budapest flight.

I would just suggest changing the order to:
Prague 4 days
Fly to Budapest .... saves about 4 hours
door to door.
Budapest 4 days
Salzburg 2 days
Vienna 4 days