Please sign in to post.

Moulin Rouge in Paris

I bought Rick's book on Paris, and while I don't think he says it outsight (am 3/4 through the book) I read hints that it is a lot of money and probably not worth it (cheapest price for dinner and show is currently $208.80). I went to chicago to see the Toulouse Lautrek exhibit and thought it would be fun to go to the Moulin Rouge show. Any advise from folks who have been there? Thank you!

Posted by
69 posts

I went last year. I wouldn't go again though. It is pretty uninteresting. I am glad I went though. I am a costume designer so seeing the costumes (or lack of costumes at times) was very interesting. Otherwise, just go look at the outside of the building.

Posted by
283 posts

I have a skewed take on this question.

We were in Paris two years ago with our very dear friends, who do not travel much at all. The ONE thing they really wanted to see was Moulin Rouge. It was the highlight of their trip. They bought tickets through the hotel, which I would guess were very expensive, and then a cab to and from the event. I am sure it cost well over $208 per person. The wine flowed freely, the food was mediocre, but they had a blast.

My take: if you want to spend that kind of money, eat somewhere good and high end. Moulin Rouge is a tourist trap. Everyone one at the show was a tourist, many from Japan, but lots of foreign tour groups were there from Germany, etc.

Posted by
875 posts

Yes,it is an expensive tourist trap, but a very fun and entertaining one. I had to be dragged kicking & screaming to the show this spring, but loved every minute of it (except for paying for it) and was so glad that I went. We also had dinner there which was nothing special, but we so enjoyed talking to our tablemates who were from Scotland. It was all-in-all a great evening. If you can afford it, I would recommend going.

Be sure to go the Musee d'Orsay to see some more of Toulouse-Latrec's works.

Posted by
11507 posts

Yes , it is overpriced and silly BUT some people still enjoy the show,,but, NO ONE has ever said the food was worth it though,, so if you must go.. do not go for a the dinner show.

It isn't really worth it in my opinion,, not the money( although I consider it overpriced) but its the waste of time that is sad to me.

Not a single one of my french relatives , including all that live in Paris or within a hour of Paris, have ever been there... I guess that has got to tell you something.

Since you are interested in Toulouse why not see if we can find where some of his work is displayed in Paris,?

Posted by
506 posts

It depends upon what you are looking for - if you want the tourist show costing you more than the meal itself tastes - feel free.

However - if you are looking for a good show typically Parisians go to Lido on Champs Elysees for cabaret and dinner.

http://www.lido.fr/us/cabaret-paris.html

Posted by
448 posts

I wish i knew how to transfer articles, but there's one in the Sept 28 NYTimes about Jean Paul Gaultier "Fashionista Paris" and his Paris favorites..he mentions that the Folies Bergère and Moulin Rouge aren't what they used to be (though did at one time inspire him)..he now recommends Crazy Horse (Madonna likes it)...but i agree with Jona that Lido would be a good choice and French tourists do go there.( The closest i ever got was having a retired dancer as a neighbor)