Please sign in to post.

Calling Cards

I remember reading somewhere that it's probably better to get an international phone card rather than use my cell phone (which I verified can be used overseas at a cost of about $1 per minute). Can I get a phone card here and take it with me to use in a couple of different countries (namely Italy and Switzerland)? If so, is there an internet site I can use to order such a card? Or, should I use the cards you can buy over there. But, those are country specific, correct?

Thanks!

Posted by
3551 posts

In August I just purchased 2 small denomination international phone cards for Germany and France while in ea country. They can be purchased at newspaper, magazine, tobacco shops. Public phones are becoming more scarce (like USA) so stop by a business persons hotel if you need to . ie Mecure, Ibis, Sofitel etc. In the past I did the same for Italy also. I wouldn't chance online purchase, they may not work, then you are out $.

Posted by
8942 posts

You get the best rate for a calling card by buying it in country. Pick up a 5 € card and your price for calling the states will be about 2 cents a minute. You can also buy cards that can be used from different countries. You can get them from the calling centers, internet cafes, and kiosks. I do recommend asking your hotel to show you which number to use on the back of the card as I have seen people use the wrong one and end up with high bills from their hotel phone.

Posted by
12172 posts

So far the best deal I've seen is the PIN cards. The ones I've purchased are country specific (each card only works in one country). I'm pretty sure they charge you a connection charge plus a low cost per minute. I find I can make at least three or four 20 to 30 minute calls home on a 5 Euro card and still have a little left over. Compare that to using my T-mobile phone in Europe at $1 per minute. I also use them to call ahead for lodging at my next stop.

Buy them in-country at any tobacco shop or newstand. When you buy one have the clerk point to a phone where you can use it. While you are at the phone, look for some logo that is on the booth and your card. I've had cards that didn't work in all phones, it may have been a broken phone but I suspect it was like ATM's, my card and the phone weren't on the same network.

I've had good luck making long distance calls at internet cafes. I'm not sure if it's a general rule but I've used a cafe in Austria several times and the cost was unbelievably cheap.

I'm strongly considering going to a local cell phone for travel because I like the idea of making my calls while I'm moving rather than stopping to use a pay phone. The $1 per minute T-mobile will charge me is too much but a local sim card for a country plugged into my T-mobile phone may be perfect.

Posted by
64 posts

I purchased a phone card at a Tabacchi shop in Florence for some local calls I had to make while in Rome. They asked me if I wanted to make local calls or international calls. They offered me a 3euro or 5euro card. There are still public phones on just about every corner (and in between) in the places I visited (granted I was in the big cities, don't know about the smaller towns). It was so easy to just buy the card there. I didn't need a to call anyone while in Zurich, but I think if you ask someone(maybe,your hotel clerk or whoever checks you into your room) where to get one, I'm sure you'll find one. I think I saw some at the grocery stores too (just like here).

Posted by
283 posts

Buy the card when you get there. I had a friend who bought a card from a major big box retailer and it never would work. I had bought one in Provence for 7.50 Euro. Thye used mine and we made quite a few calls back to the states.

My card was cheaper AND IT WORKED.