Please sign in to post.

Upgrade an airline seat

We are leaving tomorrow for our European honeymoon trip. Wew have coach seats and we want to upgrade them,; but, we don't know what to ask or say. Would you please help us, give us advise.
Your feedback would be greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Posted by
805 posts

Call the airline and ask if you can or how you can. Given the time of year they may not be available. Even if they are, depending on the fare you paid you may not be able to as the cheapest fares do not allow for upgrades.

Posted by
23276 posts

Lots of factors. Your standing in the FF program. The class of tickets. Some coach tickets are not upgradable. It has become more difficult for upgrades simply because planes are fuller with more demand for upgrades and you lose if you don't have a high FF status. Good luck.

Posted by
780 posts

I read an article about this. They say the best bet is to get there and get your boarding pass early, dont look too touristy, dress like you Belong in first or business class. Also, they said chances are better if you are solo or a couple but no kids and not too much luggage :)

Posted by
15047 posts

Here are a few tips that don't necessarily play "by the rules" but have worked:

1) Dress the part. Look as if you can afford to buy First Class seats. Dressing "comfortably" in really casual stuff isn't going to help. (This was told to me by a gate agent.)

2) Make sure you're a member of that airline or alliance's FF program

3) Be very friendly to the airline customer service rep who checks you in. Make sure the rep knows you're on your honeymoon. If he/she can't help, move on to the gate agent. Make sure they know you're on your honeymoon. If neither of them help, let the flight attendants know. Any of those people can upgrade you.

And, in all cases, you must ask for the upgrade. But tell them you're on your honeymoon first.

Now before people here say those aren't the rules, I can tell you from experience by treating these people nicely, playing to their emotions/sympathies, and even making them laugh, it works.

I've gotten seats on flights that were full, upgrades, seats next to me blocked off, gotten reticketed on better flights and even drink coupons, just because I started a friendly conversation with the airline rep.

If I had a problem, I played to their sympathies and asked for help rather than yell and scream. (Oh, and when you ask for help, have a solution ready. It means less work for the agent.)

Yes, airlines, have rules, but some personnel are able to break those rules.

One last thing I forgot....look at the person's nametag and call them by their name. It makes the interaction more personal.

Posted by
1556 posts

You need to provide more information - at the least tell us what airline you are flying on. Different airlines have different policies. Some require cash to upgrade, some require specific classes of tickets to be booked.

For example, on United, a fare class of S or T is not upgradeable. If the booking class is W or higher you may be able to upgrade. But United requires you to have either coupons or miles if you are looking to upgrade. I know that Delta, American and Continental require a cash payment too.