Please sign in to post.

Eating in Paris

When I was stationed at HQs SHAPE in Belgium, we used to drive the 2 1/2 hrs south to Paris for the weekend. My wife's favorite ice cream shop was the 2nd floor bistro in the Renault Auto showroom on the Champes Alleyese. With your back to the Arc de Triumph walk down the right hand side and you'll find it a few hundred meters down. We were back there in March and found it easily. The price had gone up quite a bit (or was it the dollar had gone down?) but the ice cream concoctions were just as delicious...ask my wife!!!

Posted by
408 posts

Barry,
Thanks for the post on the ice cream shop in Paris. My husband and I will be in Paris in April of 09 so I will remember the Renault building. We love ice cream so it's nice to have a recommendation. We will be staying at the Marriott on the Champs Alleyese.

Posted by
13 posts

Darla: Last time we were in Paris, we stayed at the Best Western St. Ferdinand. Just down the street was a great little restaurant/bistro/bar. It was called the "Le St. Ferdinand". This is 2 years ago. The cute little blonde waitress was so thrilled to be talking to Americans she took every opportunity to practice her English with us. The meal was wonderful. As I remember they offer an all inclusive menu...starter, main course & desert for one low price. They serve fresh home-made bread and butter. If you go there, ask for Sylvia. She wouldn't remember me, but I've sent a few freinds there in the last year or so and they say Sylvia wasn't there when they went in. Maybe she's gone back to school, I don't know. It's a family-run bistro and they might know where she is. Anyway, the restaurant is off the Avenue de le Grande Armee about 3-4 blocks to Rue St. Ferdinand #34. Tel: 01-4574-5074. Another tip, take the big red bus for a sightseeing trip. You can purchase a 2-day ticket. Get on 1st thing in the morning and take the tour. Then you can use the bus the rest of the day and the next for cheap transportation. They give you earphones that plug into a recorded tour in 5 languages. Viva La Paris.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Barry, I will be travelling to paris this end October. still looking for a decent budget place to stay. earlier, will be joining the cosmos tour take also covers paris for a little less than 2 days. but i am coming back to paris after my italy tour ends for another 3 days before flying home. so that last 3 days has to be a memorable one. wanting to stay at least a day in the b&b at the countryside. where do u recommend? the rest of d 2 days will be not too far from paris city. but not necessary right in the central, u know what i mean. looking forward to yr advise. tks.

Posted by
13 posts

Meagan: Check out the web site for www.lonelyplanet.com The have some good suggestions for inexpensive places to stay in Paris. On my most recent trip, I stayed at the Best Western St. Ferdinand. It was a bit expensive, but it was a special occassion. We were celebrating a family milestone and I belong to Best Western's frequent flyer program and wanted the points. Do a search on google for B&B's and hostels on lonely planet and I'm sure you'll come up with something affordable. Bon Chance !! (I sound like I can speak French don't I ????

Posted by
264 posts

Thanks Frank! But, you forgot the (s) in Champs!

Champs-Élysées

I doubt if the spelling is going to detract from the taste of the French ice cream! :-) YUM!

Posted by
15122 posts

oops--typo (I was actually referring to the "mini-me" version of Champs Elysees.)