Please sign in to post.

luggage locks

It has been several years since I have traveled to Europe. I am taking a tour in Italy in November. I was under the assumption that all checked baggage should be locked. However, someone recently told me that you can no longer lock your luggage. That the people at the airport must have access to your luggage. Is this true?

Posted by
805 posts

Go to any luggage store and buy "TSA locks". You may lock your bags with these locks, since they have a keyhole that the security folks can use to open them if needed.

Posted by
4555 posts

You CAN lock your bags, but if security decides they want to examine them, they will be cut off. TSA locks can be opened in the U-S, but not by every overseas airport security unit....in those cases, the TSA locks, too, will be cut off.

Posted by
2911 posts

Hi Sue,

We use cable ties... the plastic locking ties that you can buy at any Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. We pack a small scissor in an outer pocket of a checked bag (the only pocket without a cable tie!) to cut them off when we pick up our bags or get to where we're going. So far (after using them 3 times in the last few years to Germany from NJ) so good. Worst case scenario... you buy a small pair of scissors at your destination airport.

Paul

Posted by
15116 posts

The new TSA locks will let you know if they have been opened by TSA...however, just because TSA takes the locks off doesn't meant they'll put them back on. Take a couple of extra.

Posted by
9363 posts

You can also buy a variety of TSA lock styles at places like Target and Walmart. Check the hardware section instead of the luggage section, though. They are often cheaper (for the exact same lock) in the hardware section.

Posted by
23 posts

Do people find that TSA usually does or doesn't put the lock back on? I stopped using them, because my experience was that they do not. Are they better now?

Posted by
15116 posts

Kristi, if you're worried about it, why not ask to be present when they x-ray your bag. Granted, I haven't checked a bag in years so I don't know the situation now, but I used to be able to stand there while they sent it through the machine. They'd give me the thumbs up when everything was okay and they sent it on its way.

Posted by
712 posts

I bought 2 TSA locks, but did not use them going over to Italy last Sept. My luggage did not make a change of planes and arrived the next evening. My bag had been opened and my good rain jacket was missing. After that I put on the TSA locks while we traveled on trains and for my return flights home. I bought my locks at Target. I would recommend buying an using them. If I had used it going over maybe I would still have that rain jacket.

Posted by
9363 posts

My locked bag was checked (opened) by TSA at O'Hare last year, but it's done right where you can watch if you want. Also, when I got home, I found a note in my locked bag saying that they had checked my bag in London. In both cases the lock was put back on, no problem.

Posted by
3 posts

THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I appreciate all the info.

Posted by
2091 posts

I don't use TSA locks, just regular packlocks but I just put them on one zipper pull so the bag is not really locked. At first glance it looks locked. My bags have always been checked by TSA (TSA notification slip of paper is inside) until this last May when I used Rick's little green flight locks. None of them had been opened. I find it frustrating that leaving the US our TSA wants our cargo bags unlocked but leaving Europe, the Security wants our bags locked. So what are we supposed to do if we have a US connection such as MSP to SEA and SEA to LWS!

Posted by
9363 posts

With that kind of connection, I would lock my bags with TSA locks and forget about it.

Posted by
671 posts

I am going to use the cable ties, personally. I had a nice TSA lock/strap that was no longer on my bag at my destination last trip I took, so I was without on my trip home. Also, I have had indications that my locks were opened but never had the note.

After telling my dad about the cable ties (learned from here), he told me he has been using them for years. Thanks for sharing, Dad!

Posted by
32219 posts

I've used TSA Locks in the past, however on a flight from Bristol to Dublin last fall the Lock was cut off by security. They didn't bother leaving a note inside to indicate that the Pack had been inspected. I haven't bothered replacing the Lock yet, as I have a few "spares" on hand (non-TSA models).

As someone else mentioned, TSA Locks can be opened by airport screeners in the U.S., but it's not clear whether officials in various European countries are provided with the "bypass keys". That might explain why my Lock was cut off? Some TSA Locks have a small "flag" which indicates whether the bag has been opened, and IMO that's a good feature.

I always travel with a few cable ties as well (good for "emergency use"), but would have to pack some scissors or a knife in an exterior pocket in order to remove these at the destination (unless I waited until arriving at the Hotel).

Another option for those that don't want to use TSA Locks are These products available at Rick's Travel Store. I usually take along a package of these in case they're required, and since these are numbered it's also easy to tell if they've been removed and replaced. Rick's FlexiLocks are good too - they're great for the Daypack as they can be closed but not locked, making it easy to open for security inspection.

One other important point to mention, is that TSA Locks do not have a very robust "security level". These are fine for securing luggage in transit, but I would NOT recommend using them to secure Lockers at Hostels or any other application where security is important. If you'll be encountering situations that require a Padlock during travel, pack along something that provides a decent level of protection.

Cheers!

Posted by
359 posts

If you think that a "lock" will help you feel secure, get some cable ties. They're disposable and you won't have to worry about having your lock cut anyhow.
That being said, all it takes to get into luggage is a pen and everything is available for the taking, and once finished it can be closed up as good as new. There are videos on youtube showing exactly how it's done, "in case you lose your key."
Reduce what you take and carry it all on - problem solved.

Posted by
23301 posts

The zipper trick works ONLY if the double zipper is movable so that it can be rezipped after being forced open. Lock the zippers down and the bag cannot be rezipped. Can still be broken into but not covered up.

Posted by
1158 posts

It doesn't matter if the lock is TSA or not.
They will cut it off if they feel like it.It is against TSA rules, but they don't care.