Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

I've been to Ireland, England, France, Spain, Portugal, Bavaria, Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy. My girlfriend has only been to Ireland. Where should we go next summer given that we only have 8 days or so? I thought I'd take her back to Paris and Gimmelwald and then add either Amsterdam or Vernazza(neither of which I've been to). Thoughts?

Posted by
26 posts

It's going to be a fly in on Fri. (arrive Sat morning) and leave on a Sunday.

Posted by
4555 posts

With your girlfriend? And for eight days? Paris for sure (very romantic...nudge, nudge...good for brownie points) and Amsterdam, maybe stopping for the afternoon hours in Brussels to see the Grand Place. ANything more and you won't do any destination justice. Try to get an 'open jaws' ticket into Paris and out of Amsterdam (or vice versa) to save you back-tracking.

Posted by
10344 posts

So it's 7 full days and a partial 8th day (your fly in day but you'll be jet lagged so that's only a partial sightseeing day). With 7 full days, I change my advice and agree with Norm: Paris and Amsterdam, emphasis on Paris for the romantic aspects of Paris. And not try to shoe horn Gimmelwald or Vernazza into the itinerary, because the travel time to get to those means you don't have enough time to enjoy any of the destinations, becomes unnecessarily stressful and tiring trip instead of the experience you want.

Posted by
1158 posts

Pat,

You will need more than a life to see the whole Paris. Besides the art spots, each street is different from each other..so you will never get bored there by seeing the same thing again. :)

Posted by
11507 posts

PAris and Amsterdam( may be). I find many people seem to think they can do a city like Paris in 4 or 5 days, which to me is crazy talking,, LOL . Paris plus one or two daytrips( Versailles for sure, and maybe Giverny or Chartes) would be my first choice. Your girlfriend will likely enjoy an afternoon at a lovely cafe sipping a wine or cafe creme, rather then an afternoon toting her bags around train stations every three days..

Romance shouldn't be rushed..LOL
PS.. If you can ,, try sqeezing a few more days out of your trip, I think its nuts to fly all that way for a week,, come on, don't you guys get 2 weeks vacation a year??( Thats basic here in Canada after a year of employment anywhere)

Posted by
26 posts

Well what about other places in Scandanavia or Eastern Europe? I want to save Italy for our honeymoon (assuming it gets that far).

Posted by
277 posts

You may want to consider Prague. It's a beautiful city. Other suggestions: Nice, and Monte Carlo