Please sign in to post.

Italy Excursion

I am going on a cooking and hiking tour in Tuscany in October. I have about 3 extra days before my flight back to the states, and I am trying to figure out what to do. My flight leaves from Florence, and I end my tour in Perugia.

Anybody have any suggestions for what I should I try to do? I wasn't sure if I should base myself in Florence, and try and find some little trips/tours, or what.

Posted by
6898 posts

Since you end up in Perugia, I would recommend not missing Assisi (unless it was on your tour). Assisi is a 20-minute train ride from Perugia. For us, it is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy. If you can, spend a night there. Assisi is a 2.5hr. train ride back to Florence.

Posted by
12 posts

On my trip, we are going to be visiting/passing thru San Gimignano, Siena, Montalcino, Pienza, Cortona, Asissi, SPello, and Orvieto.

Someone had suggested to me to visit Cinque Terre, but it sounds like I would need a car. I didn't really want to drive while there if possible.

Posted by
1358 posts

Alyssa:

Post your request in the "To the Boot :Italy" Section of the Travelers Helpline. You will get more responses there.

Posted by
21 posts

You don't need a car to see Cinque Terre. You can catch a train from the Florence Rifredi Station to Monterosso and only takes about 2.5 hours. If you have the time it is well worth seeing.

Posted by
553 posts

Ditto on Justin's comments. The scenery on the train ride from Florence to the CT is beautiful and relaxing and the sights in these small towns will take your breath away, not to mention the people. Try spending one night there and hiking the trail from Monterosso to Vernazza, my favorite town. Have the anchovie dinner, baked with sliced potatoes, diced tomatoes and olives, and their great white wine. It's to die for.

Posted by
12172 posts

Three days is a nice amount of time to visit CT. We were there late October. We didn't have any trouble finding an apartment for 5 without calling ahead. The weather was warm in the day and comfortably cool in the evening and morning. They had had rain the week before so there is a chance of that. There is light hiking and some decent sea food but mostly peace and quiet. Monterosso is the closest thing to a beach or nightlife, if you are interested in either.

You could also stop by Pisa on the way for an hour or so to get the compulsory photos of the leaning tower and visit the duomo and baptistry.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I still haven't decided yet what to do. I may actually just stay in Florence for my extra three days. I was in Italy 7 years ago, but didn't really spend a lot of time in Florence. It might be more enjoyable and relaxing after my week long cooking and hiking tour to just stay put in the city and just enjoy it.