Please sign in to post.

Travel Plans

I plan on either going on a Rick Steves' Tour or by myself with my daughter. The first "tour of duty" will be England unless my son gets stationed in France or Germany. The year I'm planning this is 2010. I was wondering to all my travel friends, is this too early to start the planning and all that?

Posted by
671 posts

It might be too early to actually start reserving or paying, but it's never too early to research or start saving. I decided in January of 07 that we would be doing our trip in December of 08, and I started doing some research then.

Posted by
158 posts

John, the planning is half of the adventure........if you like to create plans for destinations and comparing information in books, articles and magazines...........

I have found tripadvisor.com to be very helpful and enjoyable!

Posted by
286 posts

I agree. Researching and planning are some of my favorite parts of traveling.

Posted by
588 posts

John, I travel with my daughter & son-in-law. We take a RS tour every two years. We starting planning the next one upon return . . actually sometimes sooner. We are going to Ireland in 2008 and already talking about France or Italy in 2010. As everyone says, planning is half the fun. I highly recommend the tours . . takes a lot of stress out of the actual traveling and planning. By the way, you can easily go from a tour of GB to Pair via Eurostar if your son is stationed in France. Nice add on to the RS tour. I know several people who have done that. Have fun, start saving & planning!

Posted by
1317 posts

There is so much information available, that it is never too early to start. And even if you end up changing destinations, at least you've got great ideas for when you DO go to England.

Posted by
7 posts

I thank you all for the advice! my wife doesn't want to go but I've made up my mind I'm going. I want to plan, and read all the traveling guides and all that, although I think I will do the RS tour with my daughter. The one things she wants to make sure of is if they have coffee over there..I drink tea so we should fit in quite well. One of the places I want to see and I don't know if I can squeeze them in on the same tour, is Lechlade in Gloucestershire and Normandy where my dad was one of the young kids that stormed the beach. I do appreciate all the advice! Now about that 1st plane trip...any thoughts there? I haven't been in one but I have made up my mind I'm going so any suggestions there??

Thank you all again!
John

Posted by
15069 posts

John, you will have a great time. Don't worry about the plane ride. See it, as well as the entire trip, as a new adventure.

My suggestion is you get a copy of Rick's "Europe Through the Back Door" and it will give you a great intro into Europe.

Then, search the net and you'll find everything you need to know about flying. The TSA website will tell you the procedure for going through security, and then your airlines website will describe what to expect through all aspects of your flight.

Then read the trip reports on this website about Ricks tours and if you don't already have it, get a copy of his DVD about his tours. They're free from ETBD.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for answering me I have another question I'm not sure of. I'm sure my son will get his passport or whatever he needs to go overseas, my question is this. Should I wait unitl I get closer to the time I have in mind? Or should I just get one now? Also both my parents are deceased, should I still put their information on the application? I always told my mom that I wanted to go over there and I'd like to think that when I step off that plane no matter the condition I'm in, that she will be there with my daughter and I. By the way I love this site everyone is helpful and friendly!! And I love Rick Steves like an old friend because that's the way I percieve him as one of my old friends!

Posted by
7569 posts

I assume by "stationed" you mean your son is in the Military? If so, don't worry, they will take care of his documentation, be warned though, the military does not always cooperate with duty assignments, he could wind up in Korea just as easily. Get your passport now. They are good for ten years, and having it in your hand will make it all seem more real. Start planning now, or at least looking into possibilities. "Europe Through The Back Door" is a must, as I have said many times, it is maybe the only book that teaches you how to travel rather than just where. Do not be afraid to drop the idea of a tour and go independent. You have plenty of time to figure things out, and it sounds like you have specific ideas not included in a single tour. Myself, I have a brother in the military, stationed in Europe (Germany currently) for the fourth time. My bonus is that he has a 3 bedroom place in a smaller town to himself..so free place to stay! so no tours for me. If an opportunity like that presents itself, do not hesitate to go it on your own.

Posted by
908 posts

John: Re going to Normandy, lots of people on this site recommend Battle Bus (www.battlebus.fr). Check it out; it'll probably make you even MORE resolved to go!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for the reply. Yeah he wanted to join the army and he is only 17 so he sat us down and talked to us about it. I know he goes out to basic next july and then to missouri. I think he doing something with construction. We figured he would do it at 18 without us so we gave him our blessing. I do have specific areas I want to see but the first time out i think my daughter and i will go on a RS tour just to get our feet wet unless i can find other people to travel with I would rather hang with a group that we could chat with or better yet, do the tour and make take a few extra days to hit a few spots..did I say I love this website?

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for the info Teresa. I will check it out. Dad was wounded there after wading through the water and I can only guess what was in there. I know he never talked about that much. I do want to stand on the beach where he landed. This is a really great site.!

Posted by
196 posts

I totally understand!

I am planning on going to London in 2012 for the Summer Olympics and watching the Olympics on TV this week is making me want to start planning... Now!

lol

ps: it's a good thing that I am planning on visiting relations in Ireland next summer ... it gives me a year to plan.

Posted by
515 posts

John,
Write to the Battlebus folks and tell them your father's unit, and they will make sure you see the places that your father would have been. You can even have a personalized tour. Check out their website. Battlebus tour guides are phenomenal.

Posted by
12172 posts

Spend time online and build a file of places you would like to visit.

On your computer create a file of "travel ideas". Inside create folders for England, France, Germany, packing list/tips, or anything other topic you find interesting. Everytime you see something save it for when you are close enough to map out an itinerary.

Posted by
7 posts

That is a great idea Brad, thanks! There are an awful lot of places I want to go see. I wish I would have had this much gusto when I was younger, i guess though better late then never!!

Posted by
7 posts

I plan on getting a passport soon. On the application it asks about the parents. Mine are deceased. I'm assuming I should still put them on there. I think. If I do should I put in parentheses that they are deceased? My count down has begun!