Please sign in to post.

21 day trip in June 2015

Our family of 5 (3 young adults early 20's) is planning a 3 week trip, for 4 of us it will be our first trip to Europe. Our itinerary is below. My daughter feels this trip is too ambitious and that we'll be spending too much time navigating trains, checking in/out of hotels, etc. and not have enough to relax and enjoy each place. I am having a really hard time cutting anything, I want to see it all...by the way I have already cut two places from this itin...the Cinque Terre and Florence. She wants to cut the Romantic Road cities in Germany. Any suggestions?

Berlin – 4 nights
train from Berlin to Prague

Prague – 3 nights
bus/train from Prague to Wurzsburg
rent car in Wurzsburg

Rothenburg - 1 night

Fussen - 1 night
then drive to Munich and drop off car

Munich – 2 nights
train to Salzburg

Salzburg – 2 nights
train to Venice (6 hours)

Venice – 3 nights

Rome – 4 nights

Posted by
16893 posts

On your current plan, Prague to Wurzburg takes 5 hours by bus and train, so you'd only have about a half day to visit Rothenburg, then you'd spend a lot of the next day driving to Fuessen (3 hours with no stops, but the point is to make stops). I don't think you'd see the main castles around Fuessen unless you spend another night.

Skipping the Romantic Road and taking a train or bus (also operated by the railway) directly from Prague to Munich cuts that travel time down to 5 or 6 hours. You could either continue on to Fuessen the same day and sleep two nights there or stay longer in Munich and day trip to Fuessen.

Posted by
11613 posts

I don't usually recommend one-night stays, but you have a good mix of several nights in each place surrounding the two one-nighters.

As a family of adults, I assume your group will be less unwieldy than some other configurations. What does your daughter suggest you cut out or trim back?

Posted by
11507 posts

Sorry,, I totally agree with your daughter..

One night stops are not "visits" they are just transit.. if a place is worth seeing .. then isn't it worth one FULL day at least.. which means TWO nights.. if a place isn't worth a full day then to me its obviously pretty low down on wish list.

Two nights equal one full day..

Posted by
1717 posts

Well, for your group to have time for seeing the Alps at southern Germany, I suggest : delete Rothenburg from your travel plan. Ride in a train from Prague to Munich. Rent a car at Munich, for you to drive to the Alps mountains region near the border of Germany and Austria. You could stay at a hotel at Garmish two or three nights. (that is what I would do). Drop off the car at Munich, and ride in a train from Munich to Salzburg. I would want to be at Venice 2 nights. And be at Rome 5 nights. After all of that travelling, I think you would like to stay at one place for a while. From Rome, you could go on a day trip to Orvieto. You could have 3 whole days at Rome, plus one day for a day trip. Three whole days at Rome could go like this :
Day one : Vatican.
Day Two : Ancient Roman Forum, Capital hill, Pantheon.
Day Three : Villa Borghese gallery (white marble sculptures by Bernini). Ride in a Taxi car from there to the Spanish steps. Walk to Trevi Fountain. For a group of five adult persons, I think the rental car in Germany should be a Volkswagon micro bus.