Please sign in to post.

Just Got Back!!

Hey!
I just got back from a month in Europe and will be happy to share my experience! We were in Dublin, the Cliffs of Moher, London, Amsterdam, St Goar, Gimmelwald, Locarno, Venice, Florence, Rome, CT, and Paris! we used planes and trains, tooke one night train (Milan to Paris) and stayed in budget hotels and Hostels. Id be happy to answer any questions!!

Posted by
2091 posts

Glad you had a great time--don't you just want to relive every moment, every experience?!!!
Re: Amsterdam--did you stay in Amsterdam or Haarlem? In 2005 we stayed in Amsterdam but would prefer something a bit less expensive...Do you have a good recommendation?

Posted by
58 posts

Glad you had a great time--don't you just want to relive every moment, every experience?!!! Re: Amsterdam--did you stay in Amsterdam or Haarlem? In 2005 we stayed in Amsterdam but would prefer something a bit less expensive...Do you have a good recommendation?

Darcy,
I had such a blast...I have looked at my pictures like 4 times already!We stayed in a Hostel in Amsterdam by the Museums. I would not reccomend it as it was pretty exprensive for what you get. Looking back I would probably spring for a budget hotel next tim as Amsterdam gets crazy at night obviously so you never know what kind of roomates you will get. We didnt go to Harleem so I really cant give too much input. I liked Amsterdam but it just depends on the person i think. I stayed in an area away from the red light district. Definitely research the area and policies on a place before reserving bacause some places allow smoking..

Posted by
65 posts

Christy, how did you like St Goar, and Gimmelwald? Both are on my list to vist next year. Also did you get to Bacharach?

Posted by
400 posts

Wow Christy, you covered a lot of some pretty awesome places. I just returned from traveling thoughout Italy. Now, I'm planning another trip in 2010 and my husband and I are confused as to where to go. My husband wants to go back to Italy (we loved it!), but I am torn between wanting to go back or seeing somewhere else. We covered so much in our 13 days that I think it would be nice to go back to Italy and take it in at a little slower pace. We wouldn't have to spend so much time in the museums that we already saw but rather take in the flavor of each city. Now, I hate when anyone asks me this but I have to ask you anyway. What was your favorite place and where would you recommend us to go on our next trip? If it's Venice, Florence, Rome or CT, then your answer would be for us to return. Or how about those other countries you saw?

Posted by
58 posts

Christy, how did you like St Goar, and Gimmelwald? Both are on my list to vist next year. Also did you get to Bacharach?

Tony,
W liked St goar. It was a cute little town and a good break from the big cities. The castle was awesome but other than that there is not too much to do except maybe bikeride. we stayed at the st goar hostel below the castle which was claen, basic, and full of familiyes but a great deal. (you can get dinner there which i really reccomend)_I didnt go to Bacarach so cant give you a comparison... i heard there is more to do... my suggestion would be to take the rhine cruise from Koblenz to St Goar, stay the night, do the castle in the morning, then take the cruise again to Bacarach, the KD line is great and you can use rail pass.
As for gimmelwald,,,, it is a MUST! by far the prettiest place we stayed. It takes a train, bus, and funicular to get there from interlaken but sooo worth it. Murren is a little higher, has more going on, but i liked gimmelwald. you can hike to murren in about an hour... we stayed at mountain hostel and it was a good deal.

Posted by
58 posts

Wow Christy, you covered a lot of some pretty awesome places. I just returned from traveling thoughout Italy. Now, I'm planning another trip in 2010 and my husband and I are confused as to where to go. My husband wants to go back to Italy (we loved it!), but I am torn between wanting to go back or seeing somewhere else. We covered so much in our 13 days that I think it would be nice to go back to Italy and take it in at a little slower pace. We wouldn't have to spend so much time in the museums that we already saw but rather take in the flavor of each city. Now, I hate when anyone asks me this but I have to ask you anyway. What was your favorite place and where would you recommend us to go on our next trip? If it's Venice, Florence, Rome or CT, then your answer would be for us to return

Italy was definitely the highlight of our trip! i liked everywhere but i think we both enjoyed rome the most. I think you could go back for a couple days to each of you favorit placec, (id suggest rome, venice, and ct) and just skip the museums... you already saw them...How long are you going for? id love to go back to italy but im not sureif i could pass up seeing something new! i didnt go to spain or greece but those would be high on my list for my next trip, so maybe consider those if you havent been and want to stay south to save travel time...
Other wise for the north.... PARIS! it was great and climbing the eiffel tower was one of the highlights of the trip for me... Switzerland was just beautiful and gimmelwald was well worth the trip. We also really anjoyed London and would return

I dont know if any of this helps you! It is so hard to decide where to go! I would go for months and see everywhere if i could! Personally id hit just 1 or 2 cities again and then see what else is out there!

Posted by
400 posts

Hi Christy, Thanks so much for your imput but it sounds like you are just like me and want to see it all. We only have 2 weeks and cutting it down to just a few places is just so hard. If the economy doesn't get better, we might be forced into going in the off season and that worries me as far as seeing places like Paris and the Alps which I really want to go to both. But if we go in the colder months, we should probably stick with staying in Italy which I really have no problem with except for, like you said, there are so many other awesome places to see. Oh, such problems :)