Please sign in to post.

2024 April 25-May 15 - 21 day best of Europe Tour Rick Steves - whos going?

Hello,
Anyone else on this same trip?

Thanks!
Deanna

Posted by
675 posts

Unfortunately, a low cost flight usually means that you have to pay extra for luggage, for seat selection, and some even charge for them to print a boarding pass. Sign up for fare watchers like Google Flights, but always book direct with the airline. And pay attention for where connections are; some of my friends refuse to connect in Newark because of too many problems. Don't book too early, but don't wait until too late expecting fares to drop. We usually book at least six months out, sometimes more.

Posted by
13946 posts

This is a wonderful tour and a terrific time of year. If you can go in 2 days early that would give you flex time in case of travel delays and give you time to get your feet on the ground before this very active tour starts. That time of year Keukenhof Gardens is open and there may be a designated bus that goes from Haarlem where the tour starts to Keukenhof which would be easy to do. If you can stay after in Paris that is good too. There is never too much time in Paris!! On fact I didn’t even really like Paris before I went on this tour. The guide said at the initial meet up…” “If you’ve been to Paris before and didn’t like it I will change your mind and you will love it”. Well, thanks Dimitri for that because now I can’t stay away!!

Be sure to book directly with the airlines and not one of the 3rd party online travel agencies.

I also recommend you start a walking routine if you don’t consistently walk now. Use the shoes you’ll take with you. I’d try to get up to doing a long walk of 6-7 miles every few weeks plus add in some stairs (Rome is hilly!!). The better shape you are in the more you will enjoy this tour.

Also start thinking about what you will pack. I’d recommend a waterproof jacket with a hood for any European tour. Start thinking about a capsule wardrobe so that every shirt goes with every pr of pants. 4 shirts X 3 bottoms = 12 outfits, lol. (Can y tell I’m mentally packing for my next trip??😉😆). You can get everything in to a carryon size suitcase. Rick recommends that for his tours because you have to handle your bag. Some hotels might not have elevators so you’ll carry them up, too.

9 years later and still one of my very favorite tours and tour guides!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for all of the great information! I do walk every day for about 30 minutes so may need to up that. We will be arriving 1 day early and then staying one day after. I would like to get there maybe 2 days early instead. I hate jetlag! This is our first "tour". I'm excited to meet the others and begin our adventure!

If anyone else is on this same tour let me know! I would love to get to know some people before hand.