Please sign in to post.

2009 Guidebook Release Dates?

As of today, there's only a link for the 2008 release dates. I did a little checking, and I ordered my Rome 2008 on August 22nd. Does anyone know when the 2009's are going to drop?

Posted by
359 posts

OK, I went over to Amazon and they're available for pre-order with availability dates varying from Sep 1st - the end of the year.
I'm most interested in Spain and Portugal. Interestingly they don't have a Portugal 2009 and the Portugal they do have (updated in 2008) doesn't actually have 2008 in the title. I wonder if it's not going to be updated for 2009???

Posted by
359 posts

Thanks Kent,
Since they're not that far from me, I may have to make a stop by there as I'm now getting closer to more seriously planning our Spring Spain/Portugal trip.

Posted by
1288 posts

I bought the Switzerland book recently- no year on the cover. I asked at the desk (I was at the travel store in Edmonds at the time) and was told that some books will only be updated and published every two years now. For the record, the Switzerland book came out in 2008. I have no problem with this since most info is good for two years. I always double check web sites of important sites for the most current hours and prices before I leave anyway.

Posted by
4555 posts

Every two years now?.....Rick...say it ain't so!!!

Posted by
2788 posts

Guide books every 2 years now - guess that follows the higher tour prices with more members and no assistant guides, fewer meals, less alumni discount, etc.
I remember the Euro coming into play at about 80cents US and now it is around 155cents US. Guess everyone, including RS, is feeling the pinch.

Posted by
1288 posts

To qualify my earlier post:

SOME of the books will be every two years. If you look at the current books that are out, I believe the books without a year on them are the ones that will only come out every two years. I think the very popular ones (Italy, France, England) will still be every year. In checking the web site store, the only country books I see without a year are Portugal, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and Croatia. For the city books, it is Amsterdam, Istanbul, and Prague. Hope this helps clear up any confusion I may have caused.

Posted by
359 posts

I would guess that there is some sort of statistic which 'guides' them as to which will only be on the 2-year plan, likely relying on online updates more, and which will still be yearly. I'd assume that London, Paris, Rome/Italy may be yearly, places like Portugal may be every two years. Or, I guess I can just look to see which don't have dates these days...

Posted by
5515 posts

Steve, if you click on the link that says "2008 Guidebook arrival dates" it actually shows when the next edition of each guidebook will be released; it looks like they have not updated the label. Some of the guidebooks aren't coming out until 2010. Here is the link:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/update2.htm

Posted by
359 posts

Thanks Laura,
I wondered if that would happen. As of my original post, they all just said that they were "now available" (or whatever term it was).