Please sign in to post.

Tapas in Spain

Hello - I am posting this again - I hit a button I shouln't have and deleted the reponses - I am looking for information about Tapas - what they are, how to order - when and where to order - are they a full meal, etc. I apologize for deleting the previous responses and hope you will respond again - I'll be very careful this time. Thanks so much, Stephanie

Posted by
864 posts

Tapas are "little bites" of a host of foods. Ham on a bit of bread, tiny tiny fish in a tablespoon sized bowl, olive paste on bread, and on and on. You order by going up to the bar and pointing...smiling and saying thank you as you do so. You pay up front. I make a meal of them going from bar to bar as frequently the selection changes. It's a great way to sample new food on the cheap. Except for some tiny tiny translucent eels that were raw I've never had a Tapas I didn't like.

Posted by
4555 posts

Stephanie...I'm not sure what you think you did....but your first post, and all the previous responses, are still there....at least in the "Classic view."

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Norm - I found them right where you said they would be - Computers are not my best friends, obviously. Thanks again.

Posted by
1455 posts

Stephanie, The tapas are like little appetizer size bites. When ordering Tapas, you don't have to make a complete meal out of it. Tapas crawling is acceptable. You can start out in restaurant "A", eat a few tapas, then head to a new restaurant where they serve different items.

When we were in Barcelona, we grabbed a plate, picked out a handful of various tapas, such as jamon (ham), slivers of anchovies covered in garlic and olive oil on bread (YUM!), veggies, and other hot and cold items. Typically there's a toothpick on the item, and you put the pick in a little cup on your table. When you want them to add your bill, they'll count the picks and that's how they know what you ate. Some are color coded, some are longer picks/shorter picks... each place has their own code on how to charge you.

Have fun!! And as Marie said.. I have yet to find a tapas item I did not enjoy! YUM!!!

Salud!