Please sign in to post.

Men's Clothing

Please advise on what to ware for my trip to France, Italy, and Germany in September. Your recommendation would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Posted by
2779 posts

Being a German local male I cannot exactly predict you what I'm going to be wearing in September but it's usually pants (khakis, g-star, etc.), polo shirts, long-sleeve-shirts...

Posted by
32212 posts

Gil,

I normally wear Tilley clothing exclusively when travelling. It's designed for travel and a lot of the items can be "touched up" in a hotel room sink and still look good in the morning. Order a catalogue or have a look at their website for all the details and prices.

One note though - the sizing seems to vary a bit between different items, so it's best to try them on if possible.

Cheers!

Posted by
1455 posts

I'm waiting for Kent to post.. Laugh.

Gil, I'd check on the weather before you leave. Layering is best since that time of the year some of the places can get cool.

Wear what you normally would here. If you are a jeans person, the european men wear jeans too. If you like regular slacks like Dockers, that's fine too.

Don't wear something you are not comfortable in.

Posted by
1717 posts

I think a good choice of men's pants for travelling in Europe is the "Bean's Double L Chinos" from L.L. Bean catalog. It is cotton pants, advertised as being wrinkle resistant and stain resistant. Choose Classic Fit, or Natural fit (for thick bodies). Choose Plain front, or Pleated front. Choose any of the five colors. I prefer to wear pants that do not have cuffs at the bottoms of the legs. Cuffs could get snagged on something in a bus or train, or by plants. I think the cotton chino pants from L.L. Bean are a better style than the cotton chino pants from Land's End. The L.L. Bean pants look much better than the Dockers cotton pants that I have seen. If you need shoes : L.L. Bean's Men's Algonquin shoes (dark brown leather) are now priced at $ 59.95. On the internet at llbean.com/sale.
A good hat for travelling is made by Filsen. Round brim. Dark dull green color. That hat is crushable.
The insulated hat is not needed in September. I do not ever recommend wearing a wool felt hat (too hot).

Posted by
1717 posts

If you want shoes : tourists in Europe can wear casual light weight canvass shoes. I like the L.L. Bean mens' "Everyday Sunwashed Canvass Sneakers". These shoes are not ordinary boat shoes. These shoes have thick cushioned soles for good support at the bottom of the feet, for all day walking comfort. Subdued colors, white laces. On the internet at llbean.com