Please sign in to post.

Windsor Castle or Hampton Court

So we want to see either Windsor Castle or Hampton Court - but don't have time for both. The London 2008 book does not have any information on Hampton Court. I was hoping someone might tell us whether one is more worthwhile than the other for a day or 1/2 day trip out of London.

Thanks

Posted by
2745 posts

Hampton is easier to get to then Windsor.

However, Windsor is a very cute town to visit too.

Personally I liked Windsor better. But that might have been the little town! However, it takes longer to get to and longer to explore both the castle and the town so if you only have half a day Hampton might be much quicker option.

Hampton does have period docents that explain things and I did see Prince Charles there which was very coo!

Posted by
2297 posts

Can't say anything about Windsor but I really enjoyed Hampton Court. It is very easy to get to from London and possible to do in half a day. The castle itself is very interesting and you can get some good tours inside as part of your admission. In addition, there are beautiful gardens. The labyrinth is quite famous and there is a very easy trick to find your way to the middle ;-)

Posted by
158 posts

We loved Hampton Court...and wish we could've made it to Windsor.........the three hour boat ride was indeed pleasant or one hour train ride...the gardens are beautiful!

Posted by
2776 posts

WINDSOR!!! Windsor is so, so, so easy to get to from London. Get a train at Paddington Station, it's a thirty five minute ride. The castle is a two minute walk from the train station. While in Windsor you can take a five minute walk to Eton, which is where Eton College is. Also, it's a five minute walk to Windsor Great Park. I think you would enjoy Windsor much better.

Posted by
207 posts

I have never been to Windsor but we chose Hampton Court and loved it. I am sure you will like either one.

Posted by
17 posts

Having been bought up near both locales I am really torn. Hampton Court is a must see if you have been watching The Tudors on TV - Henry VIII "took" it from Wolsey, it's haunted by Jane Seymour (the Queen not the Actress). The front part is pure Tudor and the rooms still have the original panelling and Tudor Rose Motifs. The rear was built in the reign of Charles II (I think maybe designed by Wren), and is pure Restoration period decoration and furniture. Visit the kitchens, the "Real Tennis" court, and the lovely gardens.

Windsor Castle is huge. A lot of what you see externally are Victorian renovations, and of course one wing was redone (beautifully) after the fire some years ago. St. Georges Chapel is beautiful and is rich in history as it is the home of the Knights of the Garter and dates back to 1200-something and was renovated in the 1300's. The State Apartments are open to the public. Wonderful views across the Thames valley to Eton amd beyond; well worth walking into Eton to see the college - you can check the College Website for information on costs, times etc.

Windsor town is quite quaint - with a covered market/town hall.