Please sign in to post.

Carry-On Luggage Size

I am taking a 5 night trip to France in late July. I will be flying Morthwest Airlines. I plan to take only one suitcase and a small backpack, and would like to take both as carry-on luggage. I've read on the Northwest website that you are allowed to take a carry on suitcase with dimensions up to 45 linear inches or (9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches). The suitcase I have currently is (9 inches by 15 inches by 23 inches). My question is, will the baggage inspectors be too worried about a bag that is 1 inch over on 2 of the sides or should I go out and buy a whole new suitcase? Will I be allowed to take this suitcase as carry-on? Oh, and one more thing . . . I have traveled with this suitcase before on Northwest flights (the last time being 4 years ago) and it has fit into the carry-on space and has been allowed on board. I'd appreciate any advice that is offered! Thanks!

Posted by
9363 posts

Unfortunately, airlines are becoming more and more strict about their regulations regarding carryon baggage. While an inch here or there might not matter, you might be asked to check the bag at the last minute. All you can do is try it and see. A lot depends on the attitude of the crew that day -- sometimes things get through and other times they don't. What has worked in the past might not work now. Personally, I'd be more comfortable about buying a new bag that I knew followed the regulations rather than chancing having to check at the last minute.

Posted by
10344 posts

Being forced to check a carry-on, at the last minute as you're about to board, can be a big headache--for example, if you put things in the bag that could be broken by being thrown onto luggage carts, such as electronics.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks for your advice, you're both probably right, and unfortunately I'll probably be purchasing new luggage in the next few days! See, my suitcase was purchased in the early nineties as a "carry-on bag" however regulations have deffinately changed since then, and I sure wouldn't want to be stopped at the last minute like you said! Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated!

Posted by
588 posts

I haven't flown NW recently but other airlines are not only concerned with measurements but weight of the carry-on. Also how small is a "small backpack"? My daughter had to put her RS Civita day bag in the carry-on Don't have your "small backpack" stuffed full.

Posted by
9363 posts

Audrey, you must have been flying with an airline, or from an airport, that limits you to a single carryon. NW allows a carryon and a personal item. And they don't list a weight limit for either the carryon or the personal item, only a size limit.

Posted by
44 posts

Marie,

Just a thought for you, if you decide to buy a new carryon piece. The "45 inch rule" is a pretty consistent guideline here in the states, but not necessarily overseas. In addition we are all talking a lot about the effect of the airlines starting to charge for checking bags. As more people carry on space in the overheads to put our bags is going to be harder and harder to get. That means you may occasionally have to use the space beneath the seat in front of you, or have your bag checked. The airlines and even the FAA are now talking about going to a mandatory 'sizing' at the security points, to stop oversized bags from even getting into the airport. All of that is going to make carrying on more difficult.

If you do have to buy something new, consider the advantages of looking for a bag that's just slightly UNDER the 22x14x9 maximum size. Something around 21" or 20", like an Air Boss at 21x13x8. The smaller size would allow a lot more flexibility in finding a place to stash your bag, and if you ever "over stuff" your bag it would still qualify to be carried on. You might also look for a bag that has external compression straps. These allow you to squeeze the bag down if need be.

After all, the real point of "traveling light" isn't to see how big a bag we can get, or how must stuff we can cram into it...but rather how little stuff do we really need to take with us, and then what's the smallest bag that will carry it all without cramming it all in.

Just my .02 worth...your mileage may vary.

;))))))))

Posted by
44 posts

I just checked the NorthWest website, and copied this directlly from it:

Northwest Airline

Number of carry on bags: 1
Size: 9" x 14" x 22"
Weight:40 lbs.

Northwest and Virgin have both posted a limit of one carryon, total. Virgin is really "out there", their website says linear size of 39" total, and max. weight of 11 lbs!!!!! That's worse the British Airways, which told me two weeks ago their limit is 13 lbs.

And, to my point about different size requirements, American Airlines' website says it limits carryon bags to 9" x 13" x 23". If you have 22x14x9, it may or may not fit the sizer. That is the reason I suggested external compression straps. My carryon is 9" deep, but if I'm packed well I can tighten down the straps and make it 6" or 7" if I need to.

Posted by
15121 posts

Roy, I don't know where you got your information, but I checked AA's website this morning and it says carry-on is limited to 45 inches total with maximium side dimensions of 22x 18 x 10 (yes, that total is more than 45 but those are the max allowed per each side.)

AA Carry-On Allowance

BA also allows hand baggage of 22 x 17.5 x 9.85 with a maximium weight of 51 lbs. Some of BA's smaller franchise carriers allow less:

BA Hand Baggage

Posted by
9363 posts

Roy, when I checked the NWA website just now, I see the same dimensions listed for carryon, but no weight limitation. Also, on the same page as the information I am finding if you scroll down, you see this:

In addition to your carry-on bag, customers may carry on a purse or briefcase or laptop computer or small backpack. Dimensions of the additional item must not exceed 15"x11"x6".

So Northwest does allow a "personal item" in addition to your carryon bag (it also says that one of your pieces must fit under the seat in front of you). I'd be interested in seeing the link to the page you mentioned because I sure can't find it.

The Virgin Atlantic website also says that they allow one carryon PLUS a personal item, such as a purse. It also lists the same dimensions as NW (9x14x22), with a weight limit of 13 lbs, not 11.

Posted by
808 posts

Marie

I agree with the above. As an In-charge Flight Attendant I can tell you that the majority of Flight Crew are not too concerned with luggage being an inch or two over. We don't pull out measuring tapes and measure. We assume that the Passenger Service Agents at the Counters have done their jobs. We are far too busy at Boarding to raise issue at that point. The only real issue is if you ask us to stow your bag and it is obviously overweight or doesn't fit in the overhead bin. We must enforce these regulations for the safety of all Passengers on board the Aircraft. It has little to do with attitude and everything to do with safety.

I agree, checking a bag last minute IS a hassle. It can actually delay Pushback. It inconveniences everyone...
I suggest if you do take your questionable sized Carry On...Pack a sturdy but light weight zip up bag so you can remove essentials like Medications and whatever else you may need for the duration of the flight, and check your bag if need be. Don't forget to remove one outfit and whatever you'll need to get through 24hrs incase your luggage is delayed.

You mentioned that your Carry On was purchased in the 90's. Unless it's of very high quality, you probably will want a new one, anyway. The newer ones tend to be more light weight. Save your old one, if it is high quality, for car trips where size isn't such a concern.

Safe skies,

F/A

Posted by
12172 posts

Is your bag soft-sided? There is a difference between a bag that can be scrunched up to fit if it's not too full and a hard sided or wheeled bag that is too big.

With the new charges for checked bags will come new scrutiny of carry-on bags. I think you are better off shopping for a new bag; better safe than sorry.