Please sign in to post.

Voltage converter for CPAP machine

Is there a travel weight voltage converter available for my CPAP humidifier (for sleep apnea), which is 120 VAC, 1080 w, that would last 6-7 hours at a time? Most travel voltage converters say they are not for continuous use.

Posted by
7514 posts

If you do a search, there are lots of threads about CPAP machines, maybe this has been addressed. But 1080 watts is a pretty big converter if you want fairly clean power. Some converters convert the voltage by simply chopping the peaks off 220V or by only using portions of the wave cycle. These work for rough applications requiring lots of power and are cheap, but can damage some electronics and are not for use with electric motors. Other converters electronically convert the wave from a 220V sine wave to a 110V wave, these usually are lower power though (300 watts) but needed for electronics without built in converters. Larger ones in this class get more expensive and heavier. First double check the input voltage information on the CPAP and verify that it does not say "110/220V" which means it only would need an adapter. Second, verify that there is not a sliding switch near the power cord with "110V" on one side and "220V" on the other. By sliding this switch you can change from one to the other. Finally, if both of those fall through, contact your Medical Supply place or someplace that sells converters and could help. I say that since this device working or not is critical, so don't take chances.
This for example would not work: http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog10_0.html
This would definitely work: http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog10_0.html
Question is will something in between work?

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for a message from across the water!

We'll be staying in the Franciscan Hotel in Assisi. Perhaps I could contact them with the items you suggest.

I can't wait to see Rome and Umbria...just cannot wait.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for your reply.

Most CPAP/humidifiers are dual voltage, but I inadvertently (or stupidly) purchased a small, quiet, lightweight set for the trip wherein the CPAP is dual, the humidifier is not.

Being medical equipment, it is not returnable.

My alternative is to take the much larger, heavier outfit I use at home.

This is my first trip to Europe where I have had to deal with CPAP mysteries!

Posted by
590 posts

My husband and I returned from Europe last month and my husband (uses the CPAP) found that finding distilled water for his humidifier was very difficult (fyi). However he had contacted the place that he gets his CPAP from and they said for the 3 weeks that we were there that using non-distilled bottle water (make sure it isn't the fizzy kind!) would be okay as well. We did the whole trip and no problems to the machine!
Bring and extension cord as there was a few hotels that ours came in handy!

Posted by
2207 posts

Contact your hotel(s) as friends who have visited us have used the hotels' "converters" and distilled water. More major hotels have this service available - especially to visiting Americans.

Ciao,
Ron