Please sign in to post.

Alitalia airlines

Am i the only one in the dark about Alitalia's problems? I have been reading pretty scary things the last few days about the airline go belly up and I'm scheduled to fly out July 6th from LAX! All this info I'm getting on-line. Nowhere have I seen this in the newspapers. Someone please reassure me!

Posted by
805 posts

They just got a major grant from the government, they'll be fine for now at least. If they fail, you'll be served by another carrier.

Posted by
23269 posts

You just haven't been reading the right newspaper. It has been covered in the business section but it is often mixed in with the general financial problems of all the airlines. United is not behind and Frontier could be closer. You probably will be OK but don't blame us if you are not.

Posted by
2779 posts

Just to remember you that when Swissair/Sabena went bankrupt even though they were IATA-member carriers NON of the other airline accepted their tickets. I remember the scenes on Zürich airport (seen on TV) where the announcement in the middle of the day was: "Swissair has ceiced all operations with immediate effect. Please buy tickets on other airlines!" But since Berlusconi has just pumped millions of tax-€uros into that airline (which is being legally challenged by the EU and might even be revoked at some point later in time) July 6th seems to be a pretty save date as to if they're likely to still be operating by then. But also check for other articles on on-board service etc. of Alitalia...

Posted by
1455 posts

Rene, you should be fine flying them. As for their customer service, however, I've heard good and bad things for Alitalia.