Please sign in to post.

Currency

We're departing for Italy soon and are wondering if we should get our euros here in the U.S. or withdraw from our debit card at ATM's in Italy or at exchange offices?

Posted by
129 posts

Hi Anna - there have been several threads on this subject recently with a lot of good information. You might try searching to find some of those.

Most people feel it's more cost effective to get the money from ATMs in Italy because of the awful exchange rate you'll pay here. Your bank's charges will vary from bank to bank. AAA seems to be pretty expensive, from what people have said.

Some people, like me, had to get the euros here because I need a bunch of money in cash right away (apartments and day trip providers require payment in cash) and I wouldn't be able to get enough from their ATMs to cover those expenses.

Posted by
1455 posts

Anna,
Jeff is right.. I know this is a new post for you, but this topic is ask quite often.... as often as the topic of power converters and luggage. Use the search box on the top and key in "ATM" "Euros" or "Currency". Below are previous posts about the same thing. Have a great trip!

click here for getting euros before going

click here for ATM question

click here for ATM usage

click here getting euros