Please sign in to post.

Dress length

Is dress length an issue in England, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or France like it is is Italy. I'd like to wear some modest, tasteful right at the knee or slightly above the knee dresses. Will they be a problem when touring churches?

Posted by
864 posts

I take a black broomstick skirt to Europe "just in case". In the past 5 years I've never had to use it. I wear capri pants or ultra-light weight full length pants spring/fall. Dark color or kaki. Mix and match with tops, scarf etc. The thing is to be low key. Cover your shoulders with a matching scarf or lightweight throw shawl when touring churches. (Men, please remove your hats!)Churches in Europe, well, let's be respectful but frankly most of the churches are pretty darn empty of everything but art, history and tourists. Some side chaples are reserved for the faithful at prayer. Talk not at all, or very softly and glide past these chaples.

Posted by
11507 posts

To answer your question, you will only encounter the " naked knee and shoulder police" in Italy. No one in France, Germany or Austria will stop you from entering a church unless you were really off the wall, like may be in a wet bathing suit. LOL

Posted by
1455 posts

Sara, as Norm said in your other post
over here

Could you just crouch down a bit as you go through the entrance?