Please sign in to post.

Ireland car rental insurance

I am having a terrible time getting answers about car rental insurance in Ireland. My own insurance doesn't cover me there, and both Visa & Mastercard exclude Ireland if you rent using their cards. I can't get a straight answer from Amex. Their website says Ireland is excluded from their Premiere coverage (which costs more) but I found an article in a newspaper that said Amex DOES cover Ireland. The people at Amex are useless. Hertz wants almost $1000 for 6 days of insurance, far more than the rental car. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!

Posted by
655 posts

Hi Maureen,

Would traditional travel insurance work? Some of the policies do cover rental cars. Check www.insuremytrip.com

We used another approarch several years ago. We reserved a Hertz rental thru the Hertz website in the UK (you don't have to be a resident of the UK to do this.) They offered an option that included the insurance at a reasonable cost but it required prepayment of the entire amount in advance. I don't like prepayment but it did work out OK and at a fair price.

When you see that condition of many cars in Ireland you'll want to be sure that you are completely covered.

Posted by
10344 posts

Car rental CDW coverage in Ireland is complicated. There is a good reason why the insurance companies exclude Ireland or charge high rates: it has one of the highest accident rates in the EU. If the AMEX website says that their insurance excludes Ireland, you don't want to rely on an article in the newspaper that appears to say otherwise, the company is not bound by anything in a newspaper article. For most countries, but not the Republic of Ireland, www.travelguard.com sells zero deductible CDW at affordable rates. But Rick says: "Some car rental companies refuse to honor Travelguard, especially in Italy and the Republic of Ireland." Rick also says: "Car rental companies in the Republic of Ireland are less amenable to letting renters waive CDW insurance in favor of credit card coverage. As of this writing (my edition is 2006), the only credit card companies that were allowed to provide CDW coverage in Ireland are MasterCard Platinum and Diners Club, so if you have Visa or American Express you're forced to buy the CDW. Also unique to Ireland is that you sometimes have the option of buying down the deductible on your CDW at time of booking, rather than when you pick up the car."

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks - now I see why I am so confused! The Hertz UK option sounds like the best idea. Are the cars all banged up already when you get them or what?

Posted by
10344 posts

Maureen: It depends on whose cars you're talking about: major rental company cars or locals' cars. It's not so bad on the country roads but in the towns things get interesting in the very narrow streets. The rental company cars have the dents and scrapes repaired promptly, because they make sure they get the money from the insurance company or from your credit card if you end up not being covered. But if you look at the locals' cars, a lot of them have the telltale scrape marks on the left rear (close encounters with buildings and walls in the narrow streets), and a lot of dinged up hubcaps. Try to get a car that has retractable side view mirrors, if you've never seen this feature and wonder why a car would need retractable side view mirrors, then you probably haven't driven in Ireland. On the plane last year I talked to an American who said he didn't even know if his Ireland rental car had retractable side view mirrors or not, but he just decided to knock them off on day 1, just to get it over with because he realized it was going to happen sooner or later. Most car renters don't have accidents but some do. You definitely want all the CDW insurance you can afford.

Posted by
31 posts

Kent - No, I've never been to Ireland , so all I know is I've heard horror stories about driving there! I did find some good rates today at Autoeurope which include CDW insurance - has anyone ever tried that company?

Posted by
10344 posts

Oh darn, now I've gone and scared you and that wasn't my intention. A confident US driver can drive in Ireland. It's the best way to see the country. It's different than driving here, of course. Most people who report problems didn't do their homework, assumed it was going to be pretty much like driving here, and got blind-sided on day 1 by the differences. But you've done your homework and know what's what. Find a parking lot to practice the left side of the road thing and the gear shifting with the left hand--before you get out on the real road.. Buy as much CDW as you don't want financial exposure to and get a GPS if you can. Public transportation in Ireland is not as extensive as most countries in western Europe, so what are you gonna do? Try to stay in the country and out of towns as much as possible, avoid driving at night, don't even think about driving after having a pint or while using a cell phone or looking at a map. It's a beautiful place, you've got insurance, it will be fine.

Posted by
46 posts

Having driven in Ireland for ten days last summer, I understand well that the driving can be a bit challenging in Ireland but I didn't have any problems and returned the car without any scrapes. Find somewhere to practice when you are just starting out - the left side of the road combined with the stick shift take a little getting used to but soon it will become second nature. We have rented through AutoEurope four times and obtained CDW through them - never had a problem though the deductible is quite high and I highly recommend the company.

In the small towns and narrow lanes in rural Ireland, just take your time and be careful - having a car to see the off beaten sights makes it worth it - Ireland is beautiful. Enjoy!

Posted by
1 posts

There are stand alone car hire insurance providers that you can use. There is a UK based one called Insurance4carhire.com and they will provide a policy that will cover the excess in Ireland (the policy covers the whole of Europe actually). This is just £49 for the year.

Have a look at www.insurance4carhire.com and let me know how you get on

Dan

Posted by
199 posts

Maureen, I had the same concerns and contacted MasterCard. The people at MC told me that only the "World" MasterCard covers collision damage in Ireland. So, in addition to my regular old MC, I obtained a no-fee World MC. I haven't used it yet, but intend to use it to rent my car in Ireland this fall. Just to be sure, I read the small print and contacted my MC bank again, and the agent confirmed that it covers collision.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks everyone - Kent - you didn't scare me, but glad to hear a confident driver will be ok - I drive a Corvette here, so I think I qualify as confident (at least!, if not crazy). Kent & Tim I will take your advice & practice in parking lots first, but I am renting an automatic so as not to have to deal with shifting at all.

Ron - that's a wonderful tip about the World card - MC did not tell me about that when I called so I will see about getting one, and

Daniel - if that doesn't work , I will try the insurance company you recommended - thanks again.

Posted by
9363 posts

Good luck with trusting Mastercard's insurance! I carefully followed their rules, checked and double checked to make sure I was covered in Ireland before my trip (they absolutely assured me that I was), and when I broke a mirror on my rental car they refused to pay. They claimed that it was because my credit LIMIT was too low (they knew my limit when they told me I was covered, right?). I will never trust it again.