Please sign in to post.

Jetlag

I will be traveling to Britain for a relatively short trip and am searching for the best way to fight Jetlag. I have seen tips on everything, but am desperate for remedies that have been "tested in the field", and anything that Rick has specifically suggested. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
1455 posts

Scott, I just try to stay with the current time. I will be arriving in London at 2, so I'll attempt to stay awake and do normal things (ie: eat, shop, etc.) until its time to sleep around 10 pm. Then I'll force myself to get up at 7 or 8 am. Usually it will take 1 or 2 days to get acclimated to the new time.

Sleeping on the plane helps too, as well as keeping hydrated.

Posted by
2030 posts

I personally just consider the first day I arrive as sort of shot. I usually arrive at my hotel in mid day and just hang out, sleep, unpack, and rest. If I feel like going out the first day I do, if not I don't. I get up at a good time the next morning and hit the streets and go from there. I've never had a problem doing this.

Posted by
445 posts

AFter I arrive, I keep busy for the rest of the day preferably outside. I do not recommend museums. I once
almost fell asleep on my feet at the National Gallery on the first day. (it was the last day of a special exhibit.otherwise I would not have gone).
Never sit down and get comfortable or you will fall asleep. Just walk around all over the city. Then go to sleep at 9 or 10 pm. You should be fine the next day. If you fall asleep during the day, your cycle will be upset. Do everything to avoid that.

The biggest problem for me is jet lag after I return home. It takes me a full week at least to get my sleep cycle back to normal.I keeo awakening at 3-4 am and can hardly stay awake after 4 pm. Part of my problem may be the fact that I fly out of London at 4 pm.local time arriving in EWR about 6:30pm EST
which makes it 11:30 pm London time (which of course is the time my body is on). By the time I get home from the airport and to bed, I usually have been up over 20 hrs.!!!! ANd then the next day I am awake at 4 AM!!!! Do whatever you can to avoid falling asleep before your normal bedtime. This may be worse for you as you are in a different time zone.
Good luck!!

Posted by
9369 posts

Sleep as much as you can on the way, stay busy all day, and stay up as late as you can that first night. You should be fine after that.

Posted by
2297 posts

the most important tips:

• set your watch to the British time as soon as you enter the airplane
  • after arriving spend as much time as possible outside, sunlight is extremely helpful (i.e. no museum)
  • stay awake as long as possible, don't go to bed till 9 pm at the earliest

Personally, I also take prescription sleep medication for the first two days (not more!). However, this is because I have insomnia even staying in my own time zone, jet lag just makes it MUCH worse.

Posted by
12040 posts

Go for a long walk, keep yourself busy, get plenty of sunlight (jet lag hates the sun!) and go to sleep slightly earlier than you would at home. Jet lag and travel fatigue should be gone by the next morning.

Posted by
16063 posts

My routine is the same for all trips:

On the plane, I set my watch to the current time in my arrival city, drink lots of water, skip the alcohol--if you must have some, take the little bottles with you for later--and eat lightly.

Upon arrival at my hotel, I take a shower, change clothes, go outside into the sun, stay active, and stay awake until about 10 or so. (If you have trouble flling asleep, the little bottles might now come in handy.)

Posted by
805 posts

I use Frank's method pretty much. The most important thing BY FAR is to stay up all day and not to take a nap in the middle of the day. I managed to stay up all day of last year's trip and the jetlag was virtually gone by the next day.

Posted by
1158 posts

I used homepathic pills. You can buy them form the healthfood stores, they are called "jetleg".
They worked just fine. Also drink a lot of water and walk a few times during your flight.It will help with the circulation.

Posted by
12040 posts

And I think it is worth mentioning that all of the techniques described above are for eliminating the effects of jetlag by day two. You will be tired no matter what on day one, the best you can do is not let this affect the rest of your trip.

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Scott,
I've found that using noise reducing earphones has made a big difference to the severity of jetlag.

Posted by
102 posts

I'm not sure if it is truth or not but last week I heard on TV (or I might have read it on the paper) that some research found a way to elimitate jetlag. According to them, if you don't eat 16 hrs prior your flight you'll be fine. Sounds ridiculous but the explanation they gave was the the body can only handle one cycle disruption or something like that. Truth or not, I don't know.
I'll try to find the source and if I find it I'll post it later.

Posted by
590 posts

I do exactly what Frank posted I have never had a problem with jet lag.